Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So this is where everyone is hiding

msp

Hello all, my name is Martyn

I have only just stumbled upon this forum, obviously going around with my eyes closed, so excuse me whilst I feel my feet in here. I would not have said anything it's just that Grant caught me sneaking in the back door, so I thought it best to say hello.

I have been an avid amateur for the last 5 years, something that I have come to later in life, and must say really enjoy it.

Those of you who visit Cloudy Nights will recognise my name and avatar, thought it best to keep both the same to avoid confusion, that would be my confusion, not anyone else's.

As you will see from the avatar and list below I like refractors and the views they give. I looked at a big truss dob the once, but I was told that you need a beard to pilot one of those 20" reflector things, and I do not look good in a beard.

So there you have it my introduction I shall be paying regular visits here, if I can offer any help I shall, take care and lets hope for clear skies.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamie,

Thanks I shall give it a go any problems I shall let you know, whilst I am reasonably computer literate (and even built one once) it must be remembered that when I went to school calculators were not allowed.

Jamie

You would be amazed at how easy it is, I did it one Saturday morning, mainly to prove that I could, and also to learn about how they work.

Anyway I am now registered on the ISEE STARS, just going to read the instructions on the other link

Jamie,

I can not upload images to the ISEE STARS, I keep getting a log in screen and despite entering the correct information I keep getting the log in / password screen appear.

Martyn,

My first self-built PC was done in a morning as well, now I always build my own. Most of the parts will only fit one place anyway, a trick is to make sure you have another PC running with an Internet connect - it's very handy if you do happen to run into problems.

Gaz

Welcome aboard Martyn,

Though not a member of Cloudy Nights I do enjoy reading thier reviews (though personally, I'd prefer them to do some on more affordable kit).

Hope you enjoy your stay and I look forward to reading your posts.

Steve :clouds1:

Jamie,

I can not upload images to the ISEE STARS, I keep getting a log in screen and despite entering the correct information I keep getting the log in / password screen appear.

Martyn drop Grant a PM he will sort you out.

OI! less of the apo guy remarks :clouds1:

On CN you are not allowed to slate a manufacturer ' Vendor Bashing' they call it, which makes it difficult to produce an objective review of anything.

I once made the point that Losmandy could sharpen up their act, as it seemed common for people to be missing the odd bolt or small bit from the packaging, my post was removed by a moderator, soon went back following a swift PM to him.

Regarding the "4 grand down the drain" put a different slant on that Steve, that was a 5 year wait down the drain, ever seen a bad review of an AP scope, yet there are always a fair few for sale used.

... you are not allowed to slate a manufacturer ' Vendor Bashing' they call it, which makes it difficult to produce an objective review of anything.

Martyn,

I have written magazine reviews (binoculars and tools) so understand and agree with your sentiment, totally.  Its very frustrating!

Steve :clouds1:

IMO if you only ever say good things then, after a while, your views don't actually count much.

Ant

Agreed.

I don't know if i have the wrong end of the stick here but i thought that the basics of a review was

an honest opinion/assessment. (Can't really call it a review if you only get one sided opinions)

In saying that i have used the CN site for research before i bought kit in the past and probably

will do in the future. :clouds1:

In saying that i have used the CN site for research before i bought kit in the past and probably

will do in the future. :clouds1:

www.excelsis.com is a good source of reviews.

I think Sky at Night magazine has been poor on the review side of things, I know they have advertisers to please, but a few months ago they reviewed 4 scope and mount setups, first place got 98% and last place got 95%! You may as well just score out of 5!!!

Archived