SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar activity from 15 June in several wavelengths

sheri_barri

A bit late for posting mid-June images but hope they are of interest. There certainly seems to be regular activity in H-alpha but the activity visible in white light and CaK seems very low considering how near the upcoming solarmax is. :)

Thank you for looking.

Sheri

post-15561-133877627357_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627369_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627376_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627381_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627389_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627393_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627396_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877627403_thumb.jpg

Hi.,

The camera I use for solar is the skynyx 2.1. It has a large enough chip to get the h-alpha image in one field which is nice. Only the CaK and white light have to be mosaics, if there is enough activity to warrant the exercise.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sheri

It does yes thanks, I'm messing about with a philips spc900 at the moment as I can't get a dslr to come to focus on my Coronado pst directly. The webcam works but the resulting images are very soft, I'm hoping the dslr will produce better results once attached to my Baader eyepiece.

Using the skynyx on the PST CaK requires a bit of DIY to have the right focal length to the chip. The eyepiece holder needs to be removed from the PST (unscrewed) leaving the first filter half of the 1.25" barrel. The camera I then place held by rubber bands as an appropriate adapter I haven't managed to find yet. See attached. Basic but works.

Cheers,

Sheri

post-15561-133877627847_thumb.jpg

Using the skynyx on the PST CaK requires a bit of DIY to have the right focal length to the chip. The eyepiece holder needs to be removed from the PST (unscrewed) leaving the first filter half of the 1.25" barrel. The camera I then place held by rubber bands as an appropriate adapter I haven't managed to find yet. See attached. Basic but works.

Cheers,

Sheri

I must be a weakling. I can't manage to unscrew the EP holder on my PST. Did you use pliers?

I've had to do much the same to the spc900, the adaptor as supplied by Morgans has a ridge round one end that I've removed, I've taken the camera gubbins out of it's round body and fitted it into a square box (Maplins) so that the sensor now sits well inside the focal plane. No way I'm going to mess with the dslr that way though :)

I'm waiting for my pst to be delivered, but as I can gather the eyepiece holder is in two parts, holder and a spacer which need to be unscrewed from the body and from each other. Then the holder part on its own can be screwed back in giving more inward focus. HOWEVER, there is a filter in the spacer for added safety for visual use, so it's important to have this back in when you're using it visually. If you really feel you have to do it don't use pliers use one of these:

Boa Standard Strap Wrench: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools It may also help if you warm it with a hairdryer first.

I'm hoping I won't have to do it though with a low enough profile webcam adapter.....

Hmm :) wondering if the H-alpha PST has the two part eyepiece holder like the CaK.

I think it is the same holder but they have used loctite (or something similar) on the thread so you can't seperate them, there is no way I can unscrew the two pieces with my hands and I don't have the required tools to do so.

I would like to try my webcam out too eventually.

Also a great set of images Sheri ;)

Good point on the visual filter being removed. As I use a CaK, with the visual filter in, I cannot actually see the image with my eye. Too far into the violet but 'can' with the additional filter removed although something which should NOT be attempted.

Archived