Hello and Roll Tide!!

CrimsonTide

Hi! My name is Jim and I live in Montgomery, Alabama in the US. I have been interested in astronomy for over 50 years but am just getting back active in the hobby. I am an attorney and retired US Air Force Colonel so I stay busy. I am also a graduate of the University of Alabama and a big Alabama CrimsonTide football fan!!

I will often use the greeting "RollTide" or RollTide,Roll ("RTR") which in my area means many things- but all GOOD!!

I have recently acquired a nine year old virgin TAL 100RS that has never been used outside. I am putting it together and expect to be talking with your very knowledgeable TAL Users Group often!

It is great to be here! ROLL TIDE and Clear Skies!! CrimsonTide:icon_salut:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't expect any love in there from me :)

The Tide suck as does the SEC !!

Go Trojans :(

:):D

Andy.

ps: Back to the real world, welcome to SGL :)

Hope to chat with you often, both here and in the Tal Group.

Welcome Alabama,

For all you Brits who wonder about our new friend's devotion to his alma mater's football team, just so you know, the University of Alabama'S Crimson Tide probably has the most fanatical followers in the entire USA. Don't even joke about other college teams being better, it won't go over very well.

For instance, Crimson here is also Air Force, so don't EVER say something like GO NAVY! (US Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland), or worse, GO IRISH! (University of Notre-Dame at South Bend, Indiana). If you do, Crimson here might borrow a B-52 and do an "Arc Light" on your house!

he he!

"They got a name for the winners in the world,

and I want a name when I lose:

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide.

Call me Deacon Blues!"

"Deacon Blues", by Steely Dan

Welcome again Alabama, from someone who has nothing to fear:

My guys are the Carabins from the Université de Montréal.

(Different league. Different country!)

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

............or worse, GO IRISH! (University of Notre-Dame at South Bend, Indiana).

Even the mention of THAT college, makes me feel naucious.....:)

Mind you, this always cheers me up......

:(

Andy.

Even the mention of THAT college, makes me feel naucious.....:)

Mind you, this always cheers me up......

:(

Andy.

Very funny vids!

(Immediately following the 2nd vid, there's one featuring the "Girl of the Month" from USC...Whatever the score on the football field, the co-eds of the University of Southern California can't be beat by any other college in the country!).

I checked the rankings and Alabama has been in the top 3 for the last three years, so whatever team we like, I think we're safe from B-52 strikes for a while!

Thankyou all for those "warm" words of welcome! As for Southern Cal and Notre Dame, they just happen to be two of my TOP five college football teams! Infact, their history is intertwined with BAMA's and in the last 50 years have provided the yin (AKA "Dark Matter") to the yang of BAMA dominance and the rest is history!! I do love enthusiastic sports fans, and for my new Canadian friends, I actually pulled for one of your Ice Hockey teams in the championship a couple of weeks ago!! Atleast, in your comments no AUBS fell out of the rocks, but then I don't know many AUBS who know the difference between a barlow and a short, cut-off bar!!

Again, I look forward to working with you gentlemen. and while I am a bit too old to do an "Arc Light," I can can still go "Young Tiger" and kill a couple of sixpacks of your favorite beverage!! (YOU SAC guys will know what I am talking about!!)

Clear Skies and ROLL TIDE!! CrimsonTide

...and for my new Canadian friends, I actually pulled for one of your Ice Hockey teams in the championship a couple of weeks ago!!!

Ugh! Don't remind me.

The Beantown Bruins win the Stanley Cup.

As a born and bred Montreal Canadiens (Habs) fan, the only thing worse would have been if Toronto had won. (But there's little chance of that, as the "Maple Laughs" have been in the basement for over 40 years).

Actually I was out just yesterday trying out my new Canon 2Ti (550D) that I bought for astrophotography, but since the weather has been lousy for astronomy for longer than I care to mention, I decided to go to one of Montreal's two mountain-top cemeteries and just see what I could find. (I'd never been to any cemetery in my life, and actually found the place achingly beautiful. In 4 hours, I shot over 500 pictures!)

Including this one of the tomb of Canadiens' great Maurice "The Rocket" Richard (along with his wife) that I came upon. As you can see by the monument, The Rocket is considered a Montreal icon. He was the first pro to score 50 goals in 50 games, and was the biggest star on the team that won the Stanley Cup five years in a row (1956, 57, 58, 59, 60). A still unequaled streak.

post-27113-133877627406_thumb.jpg

Archived