Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror making problems

nightstang

I just thought I would give an update since it has been awhile. I know some people were interested in this telescope I am making. Right now I am waiting for the mirror to get coated and it wont be back to me for like 3-4 weeks. I have the scope mosty built and will be taking some pictures soon and posting them up of what I got going on. For now though I have plenty of time to finish it before the mirror gets back to me. So anyways I kinda of feel obligated to give something back to the forum since it helped me out. So I will be posting some pictures when I get back to the shop =)

Dave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes nice work. To me it looks a bit heavy, your balance point must be quite high up the OTA. Either that or your happy with bigger mirror and rocker boxes to compensate.

My inclination would be to use much thinner ply for the rings and just build the thickness into them where its needed. I've used 1/16" marine ply as a wrap to provide rigidity - around the inside or outside edges to stop the secondary cage from twisting in use (though the truss poles should do that anyway).

You can keep the rigidity and reduce the weight by sandwiching foam sheeting between two thin plywood skins. If its a scope that will be moved around by hand weight can be an issue.

Still nice work though :)

Francis

Here are a few pics of the almost finished scope.

I still need to get some ebony star for the bearings and put a little weight on the top because it is a little bottom heavy. I also need to get a telrad and am waiting for my mirror to get back from the coaters.

I really like how it came out!

SSPX2002.jpg

SSPX2001.jpg

SSPX2000.jpg

Dave

Archived