SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher 7Ah Rechargeable Power Tank

Need some advice, just got a great deal on one of these from my local Astronomy shop. Anyway, it came with a mains (240v) charging lead and a cigarette lighter lead which also looks like a charging lead (you can charge the unit from your car as a top up so I believe)

Anyway, I'm a bit shocked that It doesnt appear to come with a lead to connect it to my Skywatcher AZ GOTO Mount which is 12v (currently running on batteries) unless you use the same lead to charge the unit to power your AZ GOTO Mount?

I'm tempted (if we get clear skies) to connect it up tonight using the cigarette lead but am worried about doing some damage,can anybody help?

please?:)

Scott

however you might find it difficult to get a reliable connection.

The AZ GOTO uses the external portion of the connector and the locking ring for the ground and everything i tried just wouldn't stay in place reliably.

In the end i had to use the battery connector and solder on a cigarette connector from maplins to make up a reliable connection.

Cheers

Here's another question, how do you know when its fully charged? Mine seems to be fully charged but the green light never goes out? Should it?

There are 4 lights

Fully charged

Charging

Needs Charging

Ready for use

I know its seems obvious but I want to be sure?

cheers

The fully charged light is notoriously unreliable on these power-packs. Mine lights up green at a particular point during the charging process and then goes out again.

I bought a multi-meter for about £6 from Maplins. My power pack seems to settle on about 13.2 volts when it's fully charged.

I'm no expert but I've been told that making sure this figure never goes much below 12v between charges will maximise its useful life.

Tim

The fully charged light is notoriously unreliable on these power-packs. Mine lights up green at a particular point during the charging process and then goes out again.

I bought a multi-meter for about £6 from Maplins. My power pack seems to settle on about 13.2 volts when it's fully charged.

I'm no expert but I've been told that making sure this figure never goes much below 12v between charges will maximise its useful life.

Tim

Do you test the battery power output by using the jump starter connecters on the back? Mine seems to be outputting something very close to 15v?

Archived