SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 1396, with more data

Shibby

Sometimes nothing goes right, does it?

I was plagued with problems, most of them my own silly fault and didn't actually get the imaging run going until 1:30am, meaning I didn't get that many more subs.

But it is is now:

79x2min unguided

450d modded, ISO 800

SW 150PDS

I've had to crop it down a lot, because I'm still having this problem with my camera :) I thought I'd worked it out, I hadn't enabled mirror lock (cust. fn. 9), but it made no difference.

Still, quite happy with the result - seems to have brought out some extra detail:

shibby-albums-latest-images-picture12127-elephants-trunk-nebula-ic-1396.jpg

Wow... that's really pretty cool for 2min subs! Gives me some hope :-)

I was gonna try and do the elephant trunk through my 80ED soon, my concern is, I can tell the goto to find IC1396, but as that's actually the cluster in the middle of the nebula... how do you then find the elephant trunk? I guess look up the RA/Dec coordinates for it :-)

Ben

Thanks guys!

Ben, the cluster is just off the top of this image, not far away. If you point at IC 1396, the trunk easily appears in the FOV of a DSLR. (My image is cropped for the annoying reason above).

You can get a surprising amount with 2min subs, but it would benefit from longer ones. There's only so much data can be hidden in the bottom end of the histogram...

Nadeem, you're probably right; although it's already getting a bit noisy, I only did a fairly quick process on it so might have another crack when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived