Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aligning the finder scope

Hi all

I am looking for any tips regarding lining up the finder scope with the main telescope.

I have not had a problem with anything else regarding set up other than this issue.

The sky was pretty clear late on last night and I was planning on trying to focus in on M57, but spent most of the time trying to get the view finder aligned with the main scope.

Still at least I did manage to figure out that if I raise the tripod a few more inches and twist the tube around a bit, then the limbo is not required to look through the eyepiece. :)

I find it best to do this either during day light on a distant object or on the moon if it's up. I use the 24mm eyepiece on the scope. Does your finderscope have adjustable screws / rings on it? If so by turning them, that's the way you move the finderscope.

as swag said, align in the daytime on a distant object that isnt moving, i use an aerial a hosue as far away as possible.

get it centered with your highest mag eyepiece, then adjust the finder until it is centred in the finder. tighten and job done :)

Just pick a bright star and point the scope in that direction (looking along the tube to line it up as best you can). Use a low power (25mm or more) eyepiece and place the star in the middle of the view. Adjust the two thumb screws on the finder so that the star is centred on the cross-hairs. Check that the star is still centred in the eyepiece, then replace the eyepiece with a higher power one and centre the star in the eyepiece. Check through the finder and make any small adjustment to centre the star on the cross-hairs - job done

Thanks chaps I will give it a go.

I did manage it my first night out using Malcs method but on the second night I found it was out again and I have struggled ever since.

it seems that my view finder is missing a rubber ring around the barrel mount so a temporary fix using cardboard wedged in seems to have done the trick.

I have now aligned the scope with the view finder using the tv ariel method it worked a treat so it all seems good now.

once again thanks for the help.

Archived