SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

sn2011dh: the spoon

toml42

Pretty sure i just spotted my first supernova!

It's a little hard to be certain, as there are several faint stars in the region, but i compared what i was seeing to some of the pictures posted on this forum, and i think i was looking at the right one!

This one honestly took my breath away. Even though i study Astronomy and always think about just what it is I'm looking at, the deep sky has always felt a little like an art gallery until now - but seeing an event, a spectacular one at that, 24 million light years away (and 24 million years ago) that i knew would be over in a matter of weeks...

It was a "There is a spoon" moment - suddenly the entire sky seemed alive and dynamic. I'm not sure I'll ever look at it the same way again.

I know exactly what you mean! I too saw it earlier this week and managed a few quick images. It is mind boggling and as you say the sky is an art gallery. A dynamic one!

Cheers

Jamie

Archived