Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"These Huygens eyepieces will work well with most telescopes" hmmm do they really?

Right, I had to point this out. I do love the astroboot and i have shopped at Scopesnskies (pulser optice,Astronomy & nature center, Astro engineering

But what a slip up. hehehe oh dear

Check the quote then the links

QUOTE "These Huygens eyepieces will work well with most telescopes"....

North Star 2 piece replacement eyepiece set for starter scopes

QUOTE "probably some of the worst eyepieces that have ever been made"....

The supplied eyepieces with my 1960's Tasco refractor were the Hygens type. They were all I had at the time so I just got on an used them but later I found a Kellner to replace one of them and even that was a big improvement.

I have read somewhere though that a really well made Huygens eyepiece can deliver good contrast and sharpness on and close to the optical axis of slow scopes.

These days though we all demand a bit more than that :)

I did see that bit. I just thought it was funny that they said that and they sell them to. Even if they are used with low cost scopes. I personlly dont think they should sell them. Ive used those Eyepieces when i first started in the hobby and in my opinion i agree with the director of S&S they are really bad. A cheap plossl is far better and not much more cost. This is just my opinion. No offence ment by it.

Huygens EP's were developed by Christian Huygens - Isaac Newton's rival! A very old design indeed, and if I am not mistaken, one of the first multiple element EP's ever - so the 'great grand-daddy' of Orthos, Plossls, and all the nice multi-element EP's available today.

Interestingly, Newton didn't cotton to the multiple element lens idea (he developed the reflector that bears his name to solve this). He declared (incorrectly) that chromatic aberration could NEVER be solved using multiple element lenses. And when the world's smartest man says it can't be done, most people stop trying. Multi-element objectives did solve the CA problem - but not until years later!

Interesting that anyone still sells them.... they also look in the photo like old school 0.965" EP's - not the more modern 1.25" standard.

What a 'blast from the past'! :)

Dan

Archived