Narrowband

Darren's Observatory Build

dazza1639

4 hours ago, malc-c said:

Actually it's the Elves that do the hard graft of pushing all the 'bits' around.
The fairies do all the admin work to make sure the Elves behave themselves and keep things in order 😉

Let's not generalise too much for the sake of our younger members.
What you describe only occurs where the observatory resides at the bottom of the garden.  :icon_santa:

• Haha 2

Gremlins live at the bottom of the garden???  I'm sure mine live in the house and a few in my observatory.  I was attacked in my observatory a couple of weeks ago and still bear the wounds!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Gremlins live at the bottom of the garden???  I'm sure mine live in the house and a few in my observatory.  I was attacked in my observatory a couple of weeks ago and still bear the wounds!!

You have to watch them Gina, crafty devils.
Just don't sit on a stair lift and you should be OK.

1 minute ago, KevS said:

As long as you don't feed them after midnight your fine😉.

But if they trick you, your in trouble.

Sorry to the OP as this is now so far off topic!

2 hours ago, KevS said:

As long as you don't feed them after midnight your fine😉.

Eating so late in the day isn't supposed to be very good for your elf.

Sorry Darren.  I'll stop now.  We can talk about observatory building again :)

James

23 hours ago, JamesF said:

It's quite simple (actually it isn't :), but it sounds complicated.

Let's say you're running some Windows imaging application that uses ASCOM to control the hardware.  No-one ever really thinks about how the imaging application interacts with ASCOM, but you might as well say that imaging pixies take ASCOM instructions from the imaging software and deliver them to the ASCOM software and it does what's required with the hardware, giving the results back to the pixies who take them back to the imaging system.

In Darren's setup, the imaging pixies speak a different language: INDI rather than ASCOM.  KStars (and Ekos, which is an extension built into KStars) talk to the INDI pixies, but in his case they don't go to the INDI software directly.  They take the instructions to their mates the network pixies who run down the wires to the RPi and deliver it to another set of INDI-speaking pixies there, who do give the instructions to the INDI software and carry the results back in the reverse direction with the help of the network pixies.

I have of course left out the details of the USB pixies that the ASCOM and INDI software uses to carry the instructions to the hardware, but that's probably not important in this instance.

All clear now?

James

Mi brane jus esploded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1