Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Darren's Observatory Build

dazza1639

The Plan

I spent quite a long time planning my observatory before I started. I have produced drawings and an animation which can be found (Drawings Here) and (Animation Here)

Phase 1 The Pier

I built the pier first so that I could continue imaging an observing until I refined my observatory design and had the funds to start the build. I previously posted details of the pier build in the thread found HERE

attachment.php?attachmentid=62101&stc=1&d=1309337956

Phase 2 The Deck

The latest phase involve a very busy weekend building a timber deck as a base for the observatory. I will add some images laterattachment.php?attachmentid=62105&stc=1&d=1309337956

post-13288-133877625523_thumb.jpg

post-13288-133877625528_thumb.jpg

post-13288-133877625532_thumb.jpg

post-13288-133877625536_thumb.jpg

post-13288-13387762554_thumb.jpg

Edited by dazza1639

Looks like an excellent build Darren, thanks for posting these links, especially the drawings and animation. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest phase of the build involving the deck..:D

It is definitely an inspiration for those of us who wish to build an Obsy, good ideas and practical advice such as this is beneficial and can be applied to our own future builds! Cheers Darren :hello2:

As you probably know, Darren, I have based my obs on your design (thanks again). About the steel angle brackets that strengthen the roll off structure :- did you make these yourself or buy them? If you bought them, where from? I have searched for such brackets on the net without success. They seem the best way to strengthen this section. Thanks :hello2:

Yes, I'll be watching this space with interest too.

I'm especially interested how stable your roof design turns out with the tall sides. This is something I was planning to do as well but can't quite get my head around how to make it rigid enough while still being able to roll the roof over the warm room.

About the steel angle brackets that strengthen the roll off structure :- did you make these yourself or buy them? If you bought them, where from? I have searched for such brackets on the net without success. They seem the best way to strengthen this section.

Gina I haven't had them made yet, but a local steel fabricator should be able to make them for you out of 50X6 thick flat steel bars welded together, I would have them hot dip galvanised as well. Alternatively you could use 19mm ply cut to the same width and shape as the junction of the wall and rafter and either glue an screw or bolt them to either side of your rafter / stud junctions.

Darren/ Gina

Would heavy duty shelf brackets work?

There will be some support against spreading due to the extended edge on the roof.

(On my last 3m x6m ROR I was using 20mm hollow square tube for the roof frame....)

looks Great, i like the pier idea, cheaper than a steel pipe, i`ve bought a second hand roll off roof obsy myself and the pier was one thing i`ve been chewing over for sometime as these can be expensive, so i think i`ll go down your route, concrete and pipe cheap, which i like ! my wife always calls me a cheap skate

• 2 months later...
Good project- not sure if my better half would like something so close to the conservatory though!

I was thinking along similar lines!!! I thought mine was quite close, but that is extreme!!

Looks a great build though :)

Helen

Oh to be young(ish) again :) Definitely feeling my age on this relatively heavy stuff. Replacing some of the wooden window frames on the house (next year) will be a doddle in comparison.

Thanks for the comments! My wife is very understanding letting me build the obs, it couldn't have gone anywhere else. She's quite happy with the location (quite close about 1.5m from the conservatory) and the way it looks.

I've just got a few bits left to do before I can move everything in, I need to put a work top and some shelving in the warm room then it should be all systems go. I will post some internal pictures and some more details when I'm all moved in