Mount options for visual?

iwatkins

Hi All,

I use my NEQ6 with an 80ED for imaging. I use the same mount for my 180 Mak for visual.

Works fine for both.

However I would to do some visual while the imaging rig is working away.

I would like a mount where I can balance the 180 Mak then just push it around the sky. The Skytee looks like an option but would be interested in any thoughts?

Cheers

Ian

Since you have a long FL you might prefer slow-mo controls? If not the Gibraltar is nice and simple. It's from TeleVue and can't go wrong. Ours is much abused, left outside, and is always ready for action, whether for wildlife, solar or night time use.

Olly

The Skytee is perfect for this job, here's my Skymax180 on the skytee:

DSCN5190.jpg

DSCN5199.jpg

Actually most of the time I place only one scope on the mount at a time, so the Skymax is mounted to the side saddle. Allthough I'm not quite scatisfied with hanging the Skymax on the side on it's scarcely mounted dovetail, I have to admit that till now it didn't cause me any problems.

Marijn

I'll be putting a TAL 200K on my Skytee 2 in the next day or two, and that's a 12Kg OTA, which is a lot heavier than a Skymax 180. So far the Skytee 2 has handled anything I've put on it and I think the TAL won't trouble it at all. :)

I put the slo-mo extension cables on mine but shortened the long one so that they were the same length. Works really well and with a bit of trimming on the plastic slo-mo extension you can fit the ali knobs from the Skytee.

Oh and you'll want to replace the standard dovetail saddles for something stronger (ADM) for an OTA like the Skymax 180.

John

Good man, thanks John, just the kind of info I was after. Especially on the saddles, that is good to know.

Only issue I have now is the SkyTee is an EQ5 compatible mount but my main rig is an EQ6. Makes reusing/swaping tripods or piers a pain, yet more adaptors. I guess they do this stuff on purpose. :)

Thanks again.

Ian

Well it's not quite visible on the photos, but I too have two extension cables, but for the Skymax you won't need them at all. The knobs are easy to reach if you're not using very long OTA's.

I haven't replaced the saddles, but I did replace the aluminium knobs on the saddles with long stainless steel bolts. I have mainly been using the refractor on it which also weighs about 12 kg. Actually I don't quite see why the rest of the saddle wouldn't be able to holdup with very heavy ota's, but I must admit I'm not the expert :)

Not meant to criticize your new saddles John:), I also looked into new saddles, but at the moment I couldn't find ones which don't need modifications to fit the Skytee. Then I just replaced the knobs, as they seem to be the only weak part.

Best Regards,

Marijn

Archived