Narrowband

SW flexi auto base adjustment ?

astroeddie

Guys,

Has anyone attempted to separate the base on the SW Flexi auto. My plan is to incorporate an Azimuth scale. Not a problem if the base cannot be split.

My plan was "to look" into taking the plastic casing off the topdisc and see what the wheel drives are like, for wiring etc. If easily lifted off, I plan to lay a set of circles onto the upper face of the lower disc. So it can move L or R to align the azimuth reading for initial reading.

Hope this does not sound gobble de gook.

If not, I can cut the Vinyl sheet and lay it in. I'd prefer the first option, more scope to adjust (no pun intended).

Eddie ...... STILL not used my scope properly in 16 days since it arrived.

When you take the plastic housing off it reveals a cast metal housing assembly for the drive unit. BTW The gear mesh can be adjusted by loosening the screws on either side of the tiny motor and drive pinion unit and moving it closer or further away from the main drive gear. This can remove excess slop but you shouldn't tighten it up too much as you need some play for the unit to work properly. Unfortunately for your purpose the main drive gear is mostly hidden away inside the cast metal housing.

John

John,

Many thanks for your speedy response, if I may

On the underneath of the base, there's 4 bolts. If I undo these will the base separate from the drive by way of the bottom base being removed from the drive that way ???

All these idiot questions, sorry.

Eddie

John,

Many thanks for your speedy response, if I may

On the underneath of the base, there's 4 bolts. If I undo these will the base separate from the drive by way of the bottom base being removed from the drive that way ???

All these idiot questions, sorry.

Eddie

I decided not to try as I was helping someone else sort out some problems with their base so I'm not sure. I had visions of bits and pieces falling out and not wanting to go back together. :hello2:

John

Hi Eddie

You could allways make a firm circular base on which to stand the whole scope as it is (maybe mdf). A laminated setting circle can be glued to the top of it and a small pointer attached to the top base board of the scope.

Along with a Wixey you'd have a very effective pointing system with no substantial mod to the scope at all. :hello2:

Guys,

I have a Wixey scale, and a local printer can print a 700mm azi circle for £18.

That was the initial idea, to place onto the stand I've made. My query was how to adjust the scale if a 125lb scope was sat ontop of it. Also thought of digital compass, but then allsorts crop up with one of those also.

The way the weather is up here, my scope wont be used until I'm back from sea in December :hello2:

Cheers all, Eddie

is there a reason you could not put the needle or whatever on the bottom groundboard and the circle on the top board? if you took off the sides etc could you install the circle on top and then rebuild the sides etc? just thinking out loud really.

Shane,

Already considered that, the side on 4 points come right to the edge. They'd hide quite a bit of the scale. Ideally, it would be best to make a collar and afix to the lower portion. Pointer from the upper, hey presto. My next plan was to cut into the printed disc and just open to get round the motors and drop into place. Ideally it should be adjustable for aligning with polarise.

Eddie

When you take the plastic housing off it reveals a cast metal housing assembly for the drive unit. BTW The gear mesh can be adjusted by loosening the screws on either side of the tiny motor and drive pinion unit and moving it closer or further away from the main drive gear. This can remove excess slop but you shouldn't tighten it up too much as you need some play for the unit to work properly. Unfortunately for your purpose the main drive gear is mostly hidden away inside the cast metal housing.

John

(sorry to hijack the thread)

John - does this tweak refer to the altitude or the azimuth motor?

Shane,

Already considered that, the side on 4 points come right to the edge. They'd hide quite a bit of the scale. Ideally, it would be best to make a collar and afix to the lower portion. Pointer from the upper, hey presto. My next plan was to cut into the printed disc and just open to get round the motors and drop into place. Ideally it should be adjustable for aligning with polarise.

Eddie

I would just go ahead and make it if I were you. Post a pic in the DIY section when it's done and tell everyone what you did, how great it is etc and let everyone reply with compliments on your outstanding contribution. :hello2:

Archived