Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Swan HaRGB and Eagle to Swan.

ollypenrice

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply stunning!

Olly you are aware of the parallel SGL discussion running on image processing for beginners - when you & other 'experts' use language like "I layer masked a softer stretch for the Swan itself in both cases, just using the same data. Ha applied as 100% to red in Blend Mode Lighten, and as Luminance at 15%" - then you can see why we beginners are green with envy (and frustration) at the incredible images that you guys can deliver. Certainly something for us to aim at though....!

Simply stunning!

Olly you are aware of the parallel SGL discussion running on image processing for beginners - when you & other 'experts' use language like "I layer masked a softer stretch for the Swan itself in both cases, just using the same data. Ha applied as 100% to red in Blend Mode Lighten, and as Luminance at 15%" - then you can see why we beginners are green with envy (and frustration) at the incredible images that you guys can deliver. Certainly something for us to aim at though....!

Thanks. Yes, I know it sounds really geeky but it's a shorthand that other experienced imagers (I won't call myself and expert!) will understand. Since I teach basic imaging more and more I know where beginners are coming from. Trouble is, face to face it is pretty easy but via the net it's an awful lot more long winded.

To translate, for interest's sake;

The swan shaped inner part of the nebula was too bright if the faintest part of the outer nebula was to be seen. Therefore I prepared two versions, one for the faint stuff and one for the bright, placed them one above the other in photoshop layers, and erased the worst parts of both images before combining them.

This is a great tutorial on how to do it; Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

The H alpha layer was placed on top of the red layer only and combined using one of Photshop's set of Blend Modes (options for combining images).

It was also used to alter very slightly the light and dark balance of the final image.

In the Image Processing sticky section there are fine tutorials by MartinB which do explain this stuff very well indeed. Recommended.

Best,

Olly

WOW I love the mosaic, those TAK FSQ are an awesome piece of kit, I cant imagine imaging such a wide field of view...its simply overwhelming.

Cheers. I think the Baby Q is close to perfect, to be honest. The 106 is also awesome but there is this focus drift issue which the little one doesn't seem to have.

Olly

What about the new version, the FSQ106EDX does that have the same issue?

I don't know. I've just read the blurb and the tube has been altered in the name of portability and back focus, but could this be Tak's way of sorting the problem without having to admit it existed in the first place? I guess we'll have to see. F3.6, yes, quite something!

Olly

You were mentioned that you wanted to work on your star colour, well its coming along beautifully. Lovely whispy Swan too, and you've held the dynamic range.

Are you doing Mosaics now in PI, or PS?

Is this a new replacement for the old kitchen one?

Tom

I should clarify, a replacement for the pic in the old kitchen, rather a replacement for the old pic!

I wasn't aiming to replace the kitchen! Yes, this version is better than the print in the kitchen and when I get time to go to the printer in Buis I''ll sort out a reprint!

I'm paying more attention to star colour now. The blue stars embedded in the nebula are real devils and the technique I used to control them is maybe not something I'm too proud of... I'm keeping quiet.

Olly

Archived