Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dec motor/handset problem ?

Firstlight with the new scope last night, after roughly polar aligning I started the alignment procedure with the first star as Dubhe the scope slews towards it in RA fine but there is no movement in Dec although there is no problem slewing in Dec with the handset.

Also after entering the alignment star the handset goes back reading 'to begin alignment press enter' and asks for co-ords date/time' etc. After a few hours of this I ended up powering down, loosening the clutches and swinging it around manually, got some nice veiws of Saturn and moons.

I knew there would be something like this as it the scope arrived yesterday and guess what ? Totally clear skies....

Thanks

Anyone have any ideas ?

The scope is a Celestron C11 on a CG-5 mount

Hello again,

I had the same problem. What power source are you using? My CG5 would slew with the RA motor and once the DEC moved the mount would reset. I did some research and learned you need a power supply with at least 2.5 amps. I bought Celestron's AC adapter and the problem went away. When I used the cigarette adapter that came with it I always had problems. It could be a different issue, but honestly this sounds very similar to my experience when I recieved my CG5.

The power supply is a Sky watcher 17 amp power tank, I've been doing a little searching around on the web and it seems that power is the most likely cause, this is a little frustrating as it was a beautiful night.

I shall fiddle around with the connecters etc and see what happens.

Thanks Johnny

Edit: Been playing around with psu's etc all afternoon, I've tried the power tank (which had been damaged by the courrier so thought that may have been something to do with it) and now tried 3 separate direct 12v dc supplies from cigarette lighter sockets including a Landcruiser with tractor batteries in it and still getting the same fault. Sadly i have no mains 12v 2.5amp+ psu to try. I have read a bit on the web and from Johnnys' reply it seems this is quite a common problem. So the idea seems to be mains supply, so what about when I'd like to take the scope farther afield, I'll phone Celestron and ask them which generator they recommend.

Slightly vexed now

Just in case anyone has the same problem or is interested....the power lead supplied by Celestron is ******* useless, I had to make one from good quality wire and fittings. Everything now works as it it supposed to. Since I got the scope it has been clear skies, now the mount is working, the heavens have opened.

Oh well there's always beer.

Archived