SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 - The start (ha)

Uranium235

Well, I should have listened to psychobilly when it comes to having an AP session after a boozy bbq. It wasnt so much my actions as I was sober by sundown, but unbeknown to me, while I was outside somebody maganed to spill pop into my laptop keyboard..... happy I was not becuase its all rather sticky to use now :hello2:

Anyway, I had just enough energy left to set up for a couple of hours astro. I had to wait a while for M16 to clear the trees so in the end I could only grab an hour before calling it a night (had to be up for work). I went with 5min subs too because my dec guiding was a bit backlashy that night.

Over then next month i will add another 10x600 in Ha (maybe a bit more) and hopefully someone can provide the OIII in a co-op to wrap it up quickly.

M16: Eagle nebula

10x300 (ha)

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+

Setpoint -10

Thanks for looking :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=61932&stc=1&d=1309179569

post-18171-133877624273_thumb.jpg

I saw Carole's version of this about an hour or so ago... and I'll say the same thing again - I do so wish I could get to this...! For just 10x300s subs, it looks REALLY smooth already :hello2:.

I do SO wish I could help out with the OIII on this with my Equinox, but the chances are probably minimal at best :D. However, if I do manage to find another friendly farmer with a field with a low southern outlook, I'll certainly try and emulate the framing and give it a whirl (but again, I suspect that in reality it's unlikely... :);))

Cheers guys :hello2:

Andy, do you fancy handling the SII on this one? I think we might be able to cobble together a 3 way co-op in HST pallete, Fatwoul has an ED80 and an OIII filter so Im hoping he will chip in too if he's able to get M16 at the moment. By the time we've finished getting our subs (weather permitting), M16 should be ready for you to grab the SII.

I'll do what I can... I just need to find a south east to south west facing view... :hello2:

Cool, cheers for that Andy. Its a shame you just cant park up anywhere and set up though.

The framing is easy enough, just place the brightest blob (it has a star inside it) bang in the centre of the reticle. Camera orientation is with the ST4 and USB ports horizontal to match the focuser.

Its a shame you just cant park up anywhere and set up though
If it wasn't just me, I probably would...

One place I have permission to use is in a small car park on the side of a single track opposite a famrhouse, but that's West facing but has views to South... but only over trees. Also the farmer advised that he frequently gets local lads parking up for " abit of a smoke and a few beers" after closing time. He does try and move them on, but as he goes to bed himself at midnight, I don't really fancy having £3-4k of kit about when they all arrive.... The other site I need to check orientation and low view, but I have a feeling it won't be low enough, so I guess I'll have to try and look a little further afield.

Thanks for making the framing / orientation easy though - I always try to keep the camera level (as it were) with the OTA as well, and it REALLY helps if you can put a big star slap bang in the middle of the reticle!

One place I have permission to use is in a small car park on the side of a single track opposite a famrhouse, but that's West facing but has views to South... but only over trees. Also the farmer advised that he frequently gets local lads parking up for " abit of a smoke and a few beers" after closing time. He does try and move them on, but as he goes to bed himself at midnight, I don't really fancy having £3-4k of kit about when they all arrive.... The other site I need to check orientation and low view, but I have a feeling it won't be low enough, so I guess I'll have to try and look a little further afield.

Better safe than sorry mate, I'd be a bit nervous setting up away from home if any of the local yoofs were hanging about. All you need is a spot with a south facing view in a safe place with no tall trees in the way... easier said than done I suspect!

Maybe... I'll ask Rosie down the local country pub - She knows EVERYONE and she may be able to introduce me to a few of the local land owners. One of them owns a field that's converted into an aerodrome on top of a hill just 2 miles away - It's half a mile up a tarmac track off a country lane and has a locked gate and IR CCD cameras. Now that would be perfect...!

Nice one, great start. One of the most iconic nebulae in the sky for me this one :hello2:

The left hand side of the image will come to life with longer subs. If you want OIII or SII I think my dataset from last year will complement this, you are welcome to use it, just PM. Reference pic below.

When my new scope arrives this is the target I shall be going for I think, and will have the same fov as the MN190 data, so should be useful.

Cheers

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture8157-m16-narrowband-redux-small-version.jpg

Very very nice that is, will PM you if I come up short on data - Cheers Tim! :D

Last night I wasnt looking at the centre of the nebula, but that huge half eaten donut in the top left. I had to double take when I first saw it in mine, thinking it was a huge halo...lol :hello2: I didnt pick that particular feature up with the 1000d last year, so this was indeed a nice bonus.

Archived