Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn for the first time

robbie c

just had my first view of Saturn its my first viewing since I got my scope over 3 weeks ago fantastic just wanted two post this going back out now will let you know how I get on :hello2::):D:) can you tell I'm happy :):);)

I got my first 'real' telescope when I was 15 years old. I had a spotting scope before but I never saw anything other than the moon. By some fluke the first thing I pointed my tasco 60 mm scope was Saturn. I saw the rings and was hooked.

The last time I saw Saturn was a week ago through my C80ED. I still feel the same way.

I had the same experience last night, My first saturn view also, just made out the cassini division and at times and only momentry, some what appeared to be bands, absolutely brilliant , that was with my 4.5 " reflector , i also tweaked the mirror during a star test, and got a similar pattern both sides of focus , a little astigmatism in the mirror i think , and the view through 6mm tmb was far superior to my cheap plossl, sounds like your first saturn thrill was as good as mine but i am sure with that scope your view would have been much better, looking forward to you report.

My first view of Saturn was a long time ago ( 40years ) it was with with a cheap catalogue 60mm refractor out of my bedroom window and then I was hooked.

Seen it few times since with better gear but that first time knowing nothing about astronomy and finding it will never be beat.

Hi fellow Stargazers

Well after 3 weeks the wait was over on sunday I got my first chance to get out with my new scope put out about 8pm then sat around twiddling my fingers looking out side every 10 minutes checking to see if it was getting dark, about 10 went out side and started looking around before using my scope about 10.15ish saw a bright light coming towards me from the west it was moving quite fast checked my i-phone and yes it was the ISS flying over what a start at cant get any better then that, boy was I wrong spotted Saturn in the sky got it lined up in my finder scope had my 2x barlow and 32mm meade super plossl on took a deep breath and took a look at first I could make out a white smudge a few turns to get it in focus and Wow it took my breath away the rings looked amazing after a couple of minutes i changed to my 12.4mm and was blown away it was beautiful called the other half to come and have a look when she saw it she said cor is that satan:eek: after picking myself up off the floor from laughing so much I said no love that's saturn not satan he's down there not up there with that she went indoors mumbling to herself then I try'd Lyra, Ursa Major but kept going back to Saturn try'd to find Andromeda but that was a bit low in the sky and maybe a bit to much for my first time so was just using my scope to get used to it I could make out the milky way funny how it just looks like a cloud in the sky but then just looking through the finder scope you suddenly see thousands of stars and you realize small we are.so that was my first night I finished about 1.45ish I hope to have many more sorry for going on so long :hello2:

robbie c

hi robbie, sounds like you had a great time, even managed to see the "Satan" constellation!

Im in the same boat, had my scope for nearly 3 weeks now but not had a great chance for a decent session, all the clear skies seem to come on a school night and i struggle to make it past midnight! Im yet to see saturn, as my garden is not ideal to observing as the south and south west are blocked by tall trees! i have enjoyed getting used to my scope even with my limited conditions, i like to point at a "empty" piece of sky and then be amazed at how busy it looks thorugh my scope. im desperate to see the moon in detail and saturn, then i will start making my way through he messiers.

btw what scope do you have? and what app did you use to locate the ISS, i thought i saw it on sunday too but looked to be moving way to fast and bright,

Hi franko I'v got a skywatcher skymax-150 pro with a EQ5 Equatorial Mount

I have Skyview on my i-phone

Let me tell you when you see Saturn you wont forget it hope you don't have to wait to long cheers

robbie c

Hi Graham

yeah it was a pretty amazing sight the first time something I wont forget

Archived