Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunspot groups 1236 and 1240

smerral

Well I finally managed to grab the sun today! #:-s Conditions were fair but still quite a lot of cloud. The spots at top left form a newly emerging group. The second image is a close up of 1236 near the limb with the Tal 3x barlow. Both taken with the ED80 and Atik Titan, around 80 stacked frames.

sun-ed80-2.png

sun-ed80-tal.png

Re-process:

sun-ed80-tal2.png

The solar filter fits over the telescope objective, NOT the eyepiece, which would be unsafe:

Kendrick Solar Filters

I haven't used any other type of filter apart from a IR blocking filter which screws on to the end of the camera adapter which is then inserted into the eyepiece holder - the colouration is simply done by adjusting the colour balance in photoshop.

Great images! I did some solar imaging today but not as good as yours :) Some stupid questions: 1) How do you make it look yellow/orange because mine looked white. 2) How can you use a motor drive during the day (polar alignment during the day) :hello2: Thanks and loving the images :D

Thanks for the comments guys...

Jack, I open up the image in photoshop (any other similar software will do) open colour balance and increase the yellow and red. Sometimes I also increase the saturation a bit. I aim to get the colour similar to that at SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

I didn't use an EQ mount for those shots but an AZ GOTO. Basically I just levelled the mount and enabled autotrack. With an EQ mount just align to the north using a compass and enable autotrack. It won't be as accurate as a full star align, but it should be close enough.:hello2:

Thanks for the comments guys...

Jack, I open up the image in photoshop (any other similar software will do) open colour balance and increase the yellow and red. Sometimes I also increase the saturation a bit. I aim to get the colour similar to that at SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

I didn't use an EQ mount for those shots but an AZ GOTO. Basically I just levelled the mount and enabled autotrack. With an EQ mount just align to the north using a compass and enable autotrack. It won't be as accurate as a full star align, but it should be close enough.:D

Thanks for that. Will have a try next time :hello2:

Lovely.

Like Stargazer Jack, I have been giving this ago as well today.

I also used a Titan to image but dont seem to have done too well compared to yours above! Can you share your settings etc please?

Archived