SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deepsky test Skymax 127 mak

bigal1

Hi all thought i'd post some results i got from lastnight testing my 127 mak out to see if i could get any deepsky pics with it , at the moment i have no deepsky imaging scope ( in the midst of saving for a new one ) and with a clear spell lastnight i was itching to get out so thought i'd have a shot with my mak and no guiding lol . I was quite supprised to see it was not too bad and with longer / more subs may even produce some ok results , no doubt guiding would make things a lot better but thats something i have yet to have a go with . Equipment used was a Skymax 127 mak scope and a Canon 1000d unmodded at prime focus mounted on a Cg-4 unguided , finished result was 34 x 30 sec subs with 25 darks no flats .

Regards Alan

M57

post-18835-13387762314_thumb.jpg

post-18835-133877623147_thumb.jpg

Good effort! I did this target with my skymax127 shortly after I got it with very similar results. I think your stars are better than mine - I had tracking issues with my mount.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great result for an f/12 - 1500mm focal length scope on an unguided mount.

Does your stacking software have "drizzle" magnification? If it does and with a few more subs you might be able to take that up to x3 in size.

You should also give M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) a shot as its roughly in the same area of sky to see what results that will give you. It's much bigger than the ring nebula and slightly brighter as well.

Alan.

I know.. It's better than the image I took with the GRAS-003 scope.

And that was a 10 minute guided image using the following.

1100mm FL @ f/7.33 Takahashi FCT-150 APO refractor, SBIG STL-11000CM CCD camera, Bisque robotic Paramount ME

Still dunno how he did it. :hello2:

[Here's the crop from the GRAS-003 image - I'll let Olly add up the cost of that little lot. Ok, the red colour is better and it's gone slightly deeper with the stars.. You'd expect that from a single 10 minute sub with a dedicated CCD cooled to -15C, but the inner star has not been resolved at all]

post-26298-133877623441_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the comments spurs me on to try some other targets with the mak as i save for a new DSO imaging scope . Next target will be M27 hopefully in the next few days as my area is forcast to have a few good nights coming up so fingers crossed i'll be able to get a lot more subs this time around . As far as my polar alignment goes it was just a standard setup using the polar scope ( no drift alignment ) so maybe i should try drift aligning to see if i can squeeze longer subs next time .

Regards Alan

Archived