SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoviewer eyepiece recommendations?

xboxdevil

I recently bought a pair of cheap revelation binoviewer’s to try them out with a heritage 130p.

The only pair of eyepiece's I could rustle up were a pair of super wide angle Skywatcher 25mm and the view of the moon (with the needed barlow) was a bit soft.

Does anyone have any eyepiece recommendations? I thought about doubling up on a Televue zoom I've got but maybe it's better to take advice if there are some better options?

Ideally eyepieces with less than 65deg FOV... I think 55deg was the recomended to look for...as to the best type/make...sorry, can't help...we've only seen the moon using 2 x 20mm super plossl's which gave a good sharp view ( both in the 200pds & the 400p dob) using the little barlow that came with the viewers. As you need to buy 2 eyepieces at a time I'm sorta in the same boat as you. Next time I go to a 'group' viewing, I'll take them with me & hopefully make up a pair to try out some other types & sizes.

Thanks for the replies, Am I correct in guessing that the view with the tv plossl's would be sharper than with the tv zoom?

Does anyone use anything longer than 25mm eyepiece's? I'd be interested to know what the longest focal length eyepiece I could use without any vignetting.

Cheers

Steve

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the WO like all "economic" binoviewers has a 20mm prism size.

The TV 25 plossl has a field stop of 17mm, will be ok. The 32plossl has a field stop of 22mm and will vignet.

I think the Baader Mark V is the only one that can show the full potential of a 1.25" barrel without vigneting.

Archived