Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First view of Jupiter this year

Hi, SGL, took the time to have a first look this year at Jupiter. Decided to take my 15x70's and with just a 3 minute walk until I had a clear enough horizon to see it clearly, without a tripod these bins are pretty unstable but for short stints if you lean its just about ok, it was enough for me to be able to make out Callisto, Ganymeade and Io. Jupiter looked outstanding due to its magnitude of around -2. The Moon was on show also and the view with the bins showed a little CA with a greenish tint around the limb although hardly a problem. It was only a 20 minute session but was worth it all the same, I look forward to a more impressive view of it in the near future, like us all no doubt.

It was good enough just to see the majestic planet back and with the Moon they both made a brilliant sight ;)

I think these bins have been covered in a few reports but for anyone new to the forum who may be considering buying a set of this size and power range I would certainly recommend them. Of course once they go on a tripod the views are much improved.

Great to see Jupiter back :D

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't sleep tonight, so just grabbed my 15x70s and popped out into the garden to see if I could locate the 'coat hanger' near 'Sagitta.' This was new to me and suggested by a fellow stargazer. I located it and it does indeed look like an inverted coat hanger. I was just about to come in and try to get some sleep when I noticed Jupiter just sitting above the rooftops of the houses opposite so had to have a peek. It showed up nice in my Revelations, with three of it's moons clearly in view. I look forward to more of these lovely views in the months to come.

Glad you had some ok skies Baz, my Celestrons are probably about my best value for money buy in the time I have spent observing the nightsky.

Good thing about Jupiter for this years apperance is its going to get fairly high compared to last time around according to this months S@N magazine.

Should help with those views :)

Usually Jupiter isn't that good when that low down due to the atmospheric conditions, dust and whot-not but last night was exceptionally good probably due to the heavy rain we had for most of the day cleaning up the dust 'n' stuff. There was no halo round the moon either, it just stood clear and bright. would have been nice through the scope I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say almost certainly, make sure your 10x50's are as stable as possible.

Bear in mind the moons will be the tiniest pricks of light at mag5-6 and their separation from the planet won't be that huge in yours bins. The fact they sit in a line around Jupiter is the biggest visual clue to the fact your looking at it's moons. Well worth the effort of checking them out :)

Use a tool like this to predict where the moons will be when you view them:

Jupiter's Moons

I have a pair of 15x70's but haven't had a chance to see Jupiter yet this year. The endless cloud cover in Holland is driving me crazy.... the outlook for next week looks promising though:D

I too got my first view of Jupiter last Saturday night... 10.5x70 Helios Apollo on a decent tripod. I was really impressed with the resolution of these bins - 3 visible moons, the 2 closest were just bright pinpoints, but mighty impressive to me, all the same.

I had originally intended to get the same model, but in 15x70, but everywhere was sold out. Based on my limited viewing so far, it seems like these are a pretty useful pair with their decent FOV.

Still like to get a look through the higher mag bins one day though...

Jenna

• 3 months later...

Archived