SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommend Eyepiece for SW 180 for planet/luner

iwatkins

A 15mm EP would give you an exit pupil of 1mm and a mag of 180. The image should be bright and I imagine would stand up well to the seeing - although that latter point is subjective.

It also depends on the planet. Last time Jupiter was around many people were sticking to around 150x regardless of scope. With the recent Saturn opposition, I found mags in the order of 220x were easily achievable on most nights. And on the moon you can go much higher because it is both bright and high in contrast.

Excellent information, just what I was after, so thank you.

I'll have a look in the 13mm - 17mm range, Baader do a few Hyperions in that range. I have their 8mm for my 80ED and love it.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Ian

For planetary (and lunar to a lesser extent), a 12.5mm Baader Genuine Orthoscopic (BGO) would take some beating, especially for the money. I did a side-by-side with the Nagler 12T4 in the 250 dob and for contrast and detail there was almost nothing in it. Obviously for DS objects the FOV is too small. The first time a saw Saturn through my BGO my jaw literally dropped. No-one has ever looked through it without saying wow!....... oh wow!

I'll never part with mine.... NEVER!! ;)

Archived