Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing in Kent

doubleclix

Hi everybody,

I'm just wondering if any one can point me in the direction of any good stargazing places in Kent? I live on Sheppey and don't fancy too much driving.

Failing that, can anyone recommend and good viewing sites in the South East?

And finally, how would I go about possibly finding and joining a local astronomy club?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Olly

• Like 2

Its a little way from you but i here the dengie peninsula is good. some of the clearest skies in this part of the uk. im not a member of any clubs but i know the castle point astronomy club who are situated near Rayleigh, go there for the good skies.

Edited by Astrodread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi I found your post about Sekas but can't seem to find Sekas at all. I'm in Sittingbourne so it seemed the ideal organisation for me.

I am the webmaster for SEKAS, the south East Kent Astronomical Society.

We hold regular observing sessions at reasonably dark sites near Canterbury & Ramsgate, please visit our website to see our program of events. www.sekas.co.uk

Lee

Hi

Send "Pingster" a PM he's pretty near you and is obsessed with dark skies (like me :)).

I am pretty sure he can guide you to some good skies near you, and he's a great guy to observe with.

Oh yeah, and he's got a nice big scope that he will share the views with.

Regards Steve

Edited by swamp thing

• 7 months later...

Hi Olly

You will be very welcome at Mid-Kent Astronomical Society. We meet at Bredhurst (so not too far to drive J4 on the A2).

We hold events in the area (when the weather is good) but our permanent observatory is in Canterbury (bit further to drive, but the skies are a little more transparent).

SEKAS website is very good (take a look) and they have a good range of locations they view from (although a bit further East).

You should also check out Orpington Astronomical Society, who hold regular Deep Sky Camps out near Hawkhurst.

If you come along to Mid-Kent our first meeting is free (that's got to be worth a visit!) - hope to see you there.

Noel

Has England changed so much. My Mum used to take us to Sheerness for hols from Chatham about 40 years ago. I remember it being very dark then even in Sheerness more so down towards Garison Point. I was into Astronomy way back then, Memories!

Alan.

• 7 years later...
On 23/06/2011 at 18:54, doubleclix said:

Hi everybody,

I'm just wondering if any one can point me in the direction of any good stargazing places in Kent? I live on Sheppey and don't fancy too much driving.

Failing that, can anyone recommend and good viewing sites in the South East?

And finally, how would I go about possibly finding and joining a local astronomy club?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Olly

Hi olly

my name is fabian and I live in sheerness too.. was wondering if you got any joy from local people.. I’ve just got a telescope for Xmas and I’m embarrassed to say I don’t 

know how to set it up and start gazing... can you help ?.. I appreciate any help

Hi Olly, I'm also in Kent and a member of SEKAS ..

I'm sure if you went to the Leysdown area of sheerness your views northeast to east should be great as there's nothing in the way..There are plenty of dark sites in Kent but you may have to take a drive, look at a bortle scale map for the dark skies..I'm a 5 at home but driving to a bortle 4 makes a massive difference to a image, I'm sure it would for observing too..

Best of luck..

13 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Hi Olly, I'm also in Kent and a member of SEKAS ..

I'm sure if you went to the Leysdown area of sheerness your views northeast to east should be great as there's nothing in the way..There are plenty of dark sites in Kent but you may have to take a drive, look at a bortle scale map for the dark skies..I'm a 5 at home but driving to a bortle 4 makes a massive difference to a image, I'm sure it would for observing too..

Best of luck..

who's this, DEREK?  I'm Lee from SEAKS LOL

Edited by Magnum