Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Antikythera mechanism

Has anyone heard of this ancient device? If not you MUST check it out. I haven't time for details right now so Please search the above on wikipedia. It's a tool the ancients used for astronomy and it's pretty much well ahead of it's time to say the least. I can't believe we don't hear more about this. That said... The is a documentary about it coming up called 'ancient computer' on national geographic at 1am on June 25th I think so set your recorders ;) Amazing in my humble opinion!

Fascinating stuff, the ancients (for the want of a better label) were certainly heavily into Astronomy. This device doesn't seem too surprising set against the backdrop of the controversial research completed by Graham Hancock.

The Greeks invented (so it is said) the astrolabe which is a complicated and sophisticated bit of kit.

Not difficult to see how an enquiring Greek mind would have looked at an astrolabe and immediately wanted to add more functions - bit like us and our laptops or telescopes.

Chris

Is there anything else or is this the only object of advanced technology found?

I recall there was an ancient map found, it showed an accurate shape for the land under the Antarctic ice cap along with other continents. The shape of Antarctica was only known accurately in modern times from work done using satellite radar surveys.

Is there anything else or is this the only object of advanced technology found?

Hero of Alexandria invented devices including a simple steam engine, pneumatic doors, and a vending machine.

Door locks were invented in 5th century BC, water clocks with escapements and alarm mechanisms may have existed in 3rd century BC.

Ancient Greek technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hero of Alexandria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archived