Narrowband

cutting foam for cases?

hi all,

i've got my flight case and the foam for my eyepiece and accessories box and i have got to the point where i am about to start cutting.

not too sure about what to use to cut, i've got some spares that i can use to test out tools but i was just wondering what people used when they were cutting theirs.

Thanks,

Mark

+1 for Stanley blade. Try and make a template for the bits going inside on plain paper then pin that to the foam and cut round it. If you make the template a little bit smaller than ep's that's going in, you will get a nice snug fit around them

Jake

I always find it a really messy process. I guess that some foams will lend themselves to it better. Serrated bread knife sounds good as you'll get the depth of cut. Stanley knife only goes in so far. If it is foam, someone once suggested soaking it in water and putting it in the freezer before cutting. This would not apply if it is the plastic type foam that you get in telescope transport cases.

Anthony

+1 for Stanley blade. Try and make a template for the bits going inside on plain paper then pin that to the foam and cut round it. If you make the template a little bit smaller than ep's that's going in, you will get a nice snug fit around them

Jake

+1 for Stanley knife ;)

Jake's right, make a paper template prior to cutting also, and ensure that you cut the foam a bit smaller so that your EPs etc are compact.

I've seen those Pick 'N' Pluck Foam cases - the advantage being that you don't need to cut; but they don't look as neat IMO. ;)

It does look neater and given how many cloudy nights we get it gives you something to do at least

hi all,

i've got my flight case and the foam for my eyepiece and accessories box and i have got to the point where i am about to start cutting.

not too sure about what to use to cut, i've got some spares that i can use to test out tools but i was just wondering what people used when they were cutting theirs.

Thanks,

Mark

What kind of foam is it? If it is the same type as is used in the pick 'n' pluck variety I'll bow to the experience of others. I find the pick 'n' pluck foam too soft and I've been told it can come apart quite quickly.

I used 10mm thick foam sleeping mats cut to the length / breadth of the case and built it up layer at a time. This type of foam is firmer than pick 'n' pluck, is cheap, VERY easy to cut with a sharp stanley blade and building it up layer at a time allows you to contour the layers if required.

I laid the item to be stored in the case (HEQ5) on the foam and traced round it with a felt tip pen keeping tight to the underside of the mount on the first layer. I used the previous layer as a template for the next layer but gradually widened the cut to allow for the contours of the mount. If you want to be super neat the layers can be glued together at the end.

Probably overkill for EPs but I was delighted with the outcome for the HEQ5. Highly recommended as a fall back if your first attempt with another foam fails.

I've seen those Pick 'N' Pluck Foam cases - the advantage being that you don't need to cut; but they don't look as neat IMO. ;)

Mine's pick 'n' pluck and your right. If its not square or at least square'ish then its not as neat but it sure is a piece of cake to do.

If your planning on standing your EP's on end in the case I have seen people use a short piece of copper pipe to the correct dia. with one edge filed to make it sharp then pushed into the foam and twisted, apparently cuts a perfect circle

mine are pick and pluck and after a tip off John (Jahmanson) I stopped any cutting. now I just push down a few cm in the rough shape of the eyepieces and then the weight of the eyepieces makes its own shape.

see the pics which shows the EP in and out of the case. this way you also get two goes at formations at least as you can turn over the foam and start again as none has been cut/removed.

post-17776-133877623109_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877623115_thumb.jpg

mine are pick and pluck and after a tip off John (Jahmanson) I stopped any cutting. now I just push down a few cm in the rough shape of the eyepieces and then the weight of the eyepieces makes its own shape.

see the pics which shows the EP in and out of the case. this way you also get two goes at formations at least as you can turn over the foam and start again as none has been cut/removed.

That's a good idea Shane..nice EPs too ;)

Thin metal tubes for circles, an old produce tin near the correct size, use your rotary can opener to take the bottom off then clean and and sharpen with a file, tin of plasters handy for cut fingers if you are not careful, I use a very sharp thin Ham knife and craft knife for straight cuts, as I find a bread knife tends to tear the foam ;)

thank you all for your comments, they've been really helpful, i'll have a go with the copper piping for EP slots and use a stanley knife for cuts. Thanks jake for the good idea about making a template ;)

if i mess up i'll have a go at what bulkins said and use layers so you can make good contour lines :D

Thanks all

• 9 months later...

Hi. I'm the head of a foaming and finishing dept. for a prestigous case company.

I have several thoughts and skills to share with you.

On cutting foam.

Don'ts

Use a stanley blade for anything over 5mm

Cut on the kitchen table

Do's

Use a very sharp blade

Use some sort of mat or board that the blade can scar

Getting serious? Use a router or you can buy cases with the profiles already cut away to suit your kit.

Polyester Based (squishy)

A) For thickness up to 50mm you can use a knife above 50mm it's best to use a bandsaw.

;) Can't stress enough to use a sharpened blade/knife

C) Go slowly or gently-if you run the knife to fast the cut will be twisted.

D) Push in and Pull back always drag the blade towards you not left to right.

E) Can't stress enough to use a straight edge. It can be as simple as a thick piece of wood (thick to protect your fingers from the sharpened blade)

Process.

Cutting foam. (Right handed perspective)

1stly measure with tape measure and lay straight edge on foam measure twice - cut once. Measuring is extremely precise use mm or 32ths. Lay the Straight Edge to the left of the measure. Hold straight edge with left hand the cut is about to be made with the right hand.

Hold blade with index finger forward - this will exert downward pressure.

Gently place knife at the top of the piece of foam.

Push forward from the tip of the blade to the hilt and the blade should have passed through the foam and be bottom of the blade should be sitting on the surface you are cutting on.

Elevate the knife from the handle

Gently but firmly drag the knife backward.

pushing down and towards the straight edge.

Do not speed up or twist the blade.

If the foam is not giving way to the blade the knife is not sharp enough.

LD is different it's sleeping mat foam.

It feels very different to cut but its mostly the same.

It's more obvious if the blade isn't straight when you cut it.

Thankyou for reading and here is the shameless plug.

I work for Packhorse.co.uk and happy to share some knowledge to help.

From my own experience - use a serrated blade knife. Place all the items out on top of the foam to see if its where you want them to end up and keep rearranging it until you've got it like you want it ,Use a fine black felt tip pen and trace outside the edge of each item - angling the pen inwards if you can so the trace is inside the widest part of the lens or other item.. Keep the foam inside the case when your cutting to keep it steady and firm - make the cuts vertically as possible on or slightly inside your marks and compress the foam inside - don't pull it out - it then acts as a base. If you have an object like a large lens for example - cut a horizontal line across within your marked areas and compress the foam inside to different depths.

When my case came without plucked foam I was dreading this process- but in the end it was easy and when I buy another case for even more lens in the future- think I'll look forward to doing it. - good luck and this is what my first attempts looked like- not perfect but I've learned from the experience.

stevetynant-albums-gear-picture15733-feb-12-009.jpg

stevetynant-albums-gear-picture16236-feb-12-056.jpg

Archived