SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Extender cable for Celestron Nexstar handset?

I have a CGEM mount which uses the Celestron Nexstar handset. The problem is that the coiled cable that connects the handset to the mount is very short.

Does anyone know where to get an extender cable from? I think its an ST4 cable terminal, but could be wrong. It's definitely not an RS232 cable, that is something completely different. I've Googled ST-4 extender cables and drawn a blank - so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Found what I want - but's its a USA website only (see below). Does anybody know if you can get hold of this extender from a UK source?

http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/hand-controller-extension-cable-cgem/

Thanks mate!!!

I've been looking for one of these for ages, and as I'm in the States, this will be perfect!

Dan

• 3 years later...

Hi Martin,

I have the same problem in that the Nexstar handset coiled cable is too short and also puts strain on the Mount connection when using the Hand set, which tends to stretch the cable.

I assume you bought the extension lead from Astronomiser, the 5metre length as I imagine there would be a power issue with a longer cable....Has it proved OK. and How did it  connect to your existing cable  ? 

I presume there is a  male plug on one end a female on the other allowing a simple joining of the two  cables.

Sorry for all the questions Martin  but I wanted to be sure this set up would operate before buying,.

I would welcome hearing from you.

Many Thanks and clear skies.

Anthony

Hi Anthony, thanks for the PM prompt!

Yes I bought the Astronomiser extended for Celestron handsets - it's cheap and worked perfectly. Everything connects via the standard telephone cable plug-in's, this is whats at the end of your Celestron handset and goes into the base of the Celestron SCT. The extender has a nice little grey box at one end that has female connectors at both sides and the end of the extender cable has a standard male connector. So all you do is plug in the male connector of the extender cable into your Celestron SCT (where the handset normally goes), then plug the male end of your handset into the box end of the the extender where there's the female connector. Now you have 5 metres of extra handset cable length - I actually found this a tad too generous and ended up coiling a couple of metres together to reduce the length a little. In use, it worked perfectly and i recommend this extender.

See attached pdf file showing how it goes together.

HTH's,

Martin

Handset extender.pdf

Many thanks for your reply, Martin. and also the informative PDF.

I could only see the 5metre cable length extender on Astronomiser's website but went ahead with the purchase anyway..

When investigating these cables some weeks ago I read  somewhere that they become in-effective beyond a max of 10ft.

but as you say, your 5m cable has worked perfectly well, so I am hoping that proves the same for me when I  receive  and connect it.to my Handset.

Clear Skies.

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin,............re: newly purchased extension cable from Astronomiser.

Connected the new extension cable and was immediately aware that the pins/ plugs seemed more positive than those of the  Celestron when connecting them to the pier socket and the Hand Controller.

Found it necessary to place tape around the two connections as a precaution against unnecessary  stress or tension.

Todate there have not been any  ' No Response' messages on the H/C so I am very pleased.

Clearskies.

Anthony

Archived