Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cannon dslr help,please

Domis

I'd appreciate any insight on purchasing a used camera.There are so many models I'm confused.I want to stay with cannon as I already have some lenses for a 35mm Cannon rebel wich { I think,may be interchangeble } with some of the digital cameras. Which models for piggybacking and prime focus should I be watching for,10d, 20d, 300, 350, 400,etc. I want to go as cheap as I can to get started with and see how it goes. Some of these seem to go in the $100-$250 range for the body only,but what is a good price for a used camera?

Hello,

I would start by looking at this site

Buy and Sell used cameras and lenses - B&H Photo Video

They are a highly regarded retailer over on your side of the pond and should give you an idea of what is available within your price range.

I would recommend looking at as newer camera as possible, realistically a 30D or 350D as a minimum as the older models are not that great for astro work due to noise and banding issues at high ISOs.

As for you current lenses they should work as long as they are "EF" lenses.

Realistically you probably want to spend at least $220-$250 to get a half decent model. ;)

You do appreciate that they retail second hand for nearly $500

A bit more than the original poster was looking to spend :D

Blimey they have gone up in price, I got mine new for £260 inc Lens from Tesco when they first came out. ;)

S/H one on Ebay.com at the mo $230 - 32 mins to go

IMHO the 300d is great for a first cam, cheep and does the job, but,

it doesn't have live view, and only 6.3Mp.

Look in the region $120-170 second hand.

second the 1000d if you can, 10.1 Mp and live view, it helps soo much when focusing on stars. ;)

Glen

Thanks for the input everyone,as I gather from the above posts the order from oldest to newest is directly related to the model numbers, lowest to highest,and liveview is available from the 450d up and that is a much preferred option. Is a AC or DC adapter also necessary or do the usual rechargeble batteries last long enough for a night of shooting? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this stuff, but I still use my 35mm for every day shooting and occasionally use a digital point and shoot,but never dealt with these DSLR's. I guess I'm a bit antiquaited. It seems 35mm is heading towards virtual non-existence so I might as well jump on the digital wagon.

My local Astro group did a comparison of DSLRs and decided that the 1000D and 450D came out best, this was comparing features and lots of technical data I couldn't even get my head around.

I was pleased about that as I own a 450D which I am very pleased with.

I'd advise getting one with live view if you can.

Carole

Not to be picky - but what were they tested up against? Were there budgetary restraints (for example, cameras under £500) - I can`t see either of those cameras beating something like a 5Dmk2 with its legendary High ISO/Low noise performance, huge full frame sensor and cracking LiveView.

IMHO, I wouldn't say a night of shooting, ok for a 30 min to 2 hours depending on one battery and temp, ok for a single quick subject of interest I suppose.

You can get battery packs that hold two, but add weight to the imaging rig.

Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip For EOS 450D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

(just a quick google)

All in all I'd recommend the power pack, if at home.

..But I digress, check this site for the canon family ;)

Comparison of Canon EOS digital cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just got a used 2Ti (550D) body with LiveView (indispensible, in my opinion) with a spare battery for $500.

More than you're talking about, but you won't get LiveVeiew for very much less.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll try and stay between the 450d and 1100d. After looking at the comprison chart and all your comments, it seems that would be the bracket to be in,even if I have to wait a bit longer. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll try and stay between the 450d and 1100d. After looking at the comprison chart and all your comments, it seems that would be the bracket to be in,even if I have to wait a bit longer. Thanks again.

Good decision. Measure twice and cut once as they say ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Full frame sensors take a lot of filling - even APS-c sensors will exhibit vignetting with most scopes... and ideally need 2" or larger focussers and adaptors...

Clip-in filters are not available for Full frame sensors...

Full frame and higher MP sensors take a lot longer to process with the larger files.. especially if your stacking lots of frames...

I find a big difference between the 100D and the 500D ...

"budget" end cams are great for modding...

I use a 1000D and love it. I had a 300D previously and while I got images with it, it was far more difficult.

I get a full night out of a single fully charged battery though? Do the batteries 'go off' after a while. Only had it 6 months, but it's seen plenty of use in that time.

Archived