Narrowband

Logitech C910 Planetary

DrRobin

Hi,

Has anyone out there used a Logitech C910 for astro imaging? According to the blurb it has a 5MP sensor and outputs 1920 x 1080 video.

The sensor seems to be capable of more, 2592 x 1944 by my reckoning, but it might only be available for still pictures.

The C910 might not be any good for DSO, but it might be great for planetary as the pixel size is either 2um or 1.5um, depending on which resolution you can actually get.

To put that into context the SPC880/900 has a pixel size of 5.6um so for any given set up (telescope + barlow) its going to give you between 3 and 4 times as many pixels!

Regards

DrRobin

It's one of the HD webcams, similar to MS Lifecam Studio. It has AFAIK around 2 mpix (the 5mpix is interpolated), and can be used for planetary/lunary imaging (no long exposures for DSO). There was a comparision thread on cloudynights somewhere and Lifecam was slightly better if I remember it correctly.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked on the Logitech forum, someone else was asking the sensor type or resolution and Logitech wouldn't confirm the sensor part number but did say it was a 5MP sensor. He did say that 10MP pictures are interpolated.

You could be right about the Lifecam, the Cinema HD uses an OV9712 which is 1280 x 800 pixels, I haven't been able to find out which sensor the Studio uses.

Regards

DrRobin

There is no public info on the model but it's one of 2Mpix; 3x3 pixels;rolling shutter; model that can do hd1080. I have the HD-5000 modded and Studio unmoded ;) And I'm planning to mod this even more with a low profile T-thread and a custom housing.

Hi,

Microsoft say it is 1920 x 1024 video (2304 x 1728 still) which is 2MP video. The still image might be interpolated (it's nearly 4MP). They also say that the chip size is nearly double the Cinema, which is a 1/4" chip, so I would assume that it's either a 1/2", 1/2.5" or 1/3".

Now a pure guess, I suspect that MS will might have stayed with Omnivision so a quick look at the native HD sensors capable of 30 fps at 1080p gives OV2710 or OV2715. I discount the OV2720 since it is a 1/5.8" chip which is smaller than the Cinema chip size.

The OV2710 and OV2715 are both 3 micron sensors in 1/3 and 1/2.7" respectively, does that look about right for your Studio?

If they did use either of these sensors then the still image resolution is interpolated.

The chip might be bigger than 2MP of course, it could be a OV56 series (5MP) and I have seen reports that it uses a 8MP, which would make it a OV88 series, but these use 1.4 micron pixels.

Not sure if you can tell from your model? If you could see how many legs the chip has that might help?

DrRobin

Hi,

Thanks for the link to Cloudynights, I checked that out and I must say I am surprised that the C910 wasn't better than the Lifecam, it's high resolution for a start. The Lifecam they used was a 5000, almost the same as a Cinema and offers 720p recording. The Studio you have and the C910 are capable of 1080p recording, the difference is 1280x720 and 1920x1080 so the pictures from the C910 should have had more detail.

There possibly won't be much difference between the Studio and the C910 at the output.

Except, if the Studio has a 2MP sensor (1920 x 1080 = 2MP) Logitech have confirmed that the C910 has a 5MP, so perhaps they use a 'bin' method?

DrRobin

1080p is only more pixels, while the details ammount depends on the image resolution plus the sensor performance. Planet image must be as good from 330Kpix sensor as from 2Mpix (although most of them won't be used).

Archived