sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Nagler + Barlow vs High mag

Hey all,

So I have recently bought a televue 2x barlow. Both for aiding collimation, and to get a high magnification for my adventure into webcam planetary imaging.

But I would like to know how people thing it would compare in performance visually. My mind is going numb with the shoddy weather so I decided to ask here.

Would my 13mm Nagler produce a better image with this 2x barlow, as opposed to just my 8mm plossl or 6mm BGO.

I think I know the answer, because of light loss? But worth a debate.

Thanks,

Give it a go with the barlow - I think you will be pleased with the result. The Tele Vue barlows are some of the best around. I've been amazed how 9 bits of Tele Vue glass can still outperform many quality 4 element eyepieces ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well Saturn is really on its way out now. I am going to wait for Nepune, Uranus, Jupiter and Mars to test out this combination. But I am surprised to see a lack of interest in the subject.

There's no way an un-barlowed Nagler would get close to a BGO on planetary detail let alone barlowed.

Unless your scope is poor, miscollimated or your eyesight isn't so good... ;P

I own Televue eyepieces, and they are extremely good - for what they are designed for. On planets a BGO should clear, sharp and contrasty, an easy winner.

I have never used a Nagler T6 but it's worth a try with the Barlow as you have both in any case. You have nothing to lose. That said, to my eyes, the BGO's give the best planetary and lunar views of any eyepiece I have (including Radians and Ethos). The only proviso is the eye relief which having said that is fine on the 7mm for me (and if I didn't have a Nagler 6-3mm zoom, I'd be buying the 6mm and 5mm BGO's without question) and the narrow field which makes a driven mount beneficial.

In your shoes I'd try it and see how you go. Hang on a minute, I see you have the others too! Try them and see what you think. I'd be interested to hear.

There's no way an un-barlowed Nagler would get close to a BGO on planetary detail let alone barlowed....

I've compared BGO's directly to equivalent T6 Naglers (back to back, same scope, same planets, same night and on a number of occasions) and found the Nagler compared extremely well. The Ethe are a touch better than the BGO's in my view.

We must have different eyes Mr Spock :)

The BGO's are fantastic for what they cost though.

Edited by John

I use an 11m t6 and 2x barlow as my planetary eyepiece in my tal 100 and found to perform very very close to the 5mm setting on the 3-6 nagler zoom which is regarded as one of the best planetary eyepieces. So good is this combination I've never felt the need to get another eyepiece and the wide afov really helps as my mount is undriven!

Hth

Adam

Thanks for the input guys, I will be getting some serious viewing time soon hopefully. John you are saying an Ethos is better than a BGO for detail? Very interesting

.... John you are saying an Ethos is better than a BGO for detail? Very interesting

I'm not saying it as a definitive statement because I can only speak for my Ethe, my eyes, my scopes, my observing conditions of course. I've found that, for example, vague planetary contrast features, faint planetary moons and challenging objects like the supernova currently in M51 are just that little bit easier to pick out with an Ethos than they are with an equivalent Baader GO.

I'm sure that others will have different opinions on this though :)

We must have different eyes Mr Spock :)

Indeed. I compared my 7mm T6 Nagler to my 7mm ortho. The ortho was far brighter, sharper and revealed more subtle detail. And I believe my orthos aren't quite as good as a BGO.

When looking at planets, the 82° of the Nagler is wasted but the 40° of the ortho is not a hinderance. So, the Nagler was sold.

The moon is a different matter. I prefer the 65° and comfort of my LVWs. Sadly there's nothing between the 13mm and 8mm so I'm seriously considering a 10mm Delos...