Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn Questions

I have been observing Saturn lately with my OMNI XLT 120 using a combination of my Celestron Xcel 8mm and my Baader Hyperion 5mm, was just wondering although I know that 'seeing' has a dramatic affect on the details visible on a particular night (I have noticed a marked difference on a number of nights where I have been limited to just using the 8mm) but should I (conditions permitting) with my set up be able to see the Cassini division or any other detail for that matter?

so far all though Saturn looks amazing have not really been able to make much detail out on the surface or with the ring structure, or am I expecting too much ;0)

Have recently just started experementing with afocal photography using a Baader microstage 2 but the only shot I got of Saturn was very blurry :0( early days yet though.

Thanks

With your 5mm ep giving you nearly x200 magnification you should be able to have a good view of Saturn but surface detail can be hard to see at the best of times. The only surface detail I've seen is some very slight banding, the Cassini division is also hard to see when the rings are nearly edge on wait till they open up a bit and you will see it. The main thing is to keep looking you will get better at picking out details.

Hi, I have found it to be better to not push the power too much as the image through the ep is big for sure but lacks any detail at all, cpc 925 and 9mm Nagler giving 261x. When using my 13mm Nagler giving me 180x the views observed have been outstanding at times this year, shame were going to loose it soon ;)

Thanks both, I find the image in the 5mm quite small in the field of view but think this might be due to the Hyperions wide field and huge eye lense!

Definately getting lower on the horizon now which wont help with all that atmosphere I am peering through!

Still keeps me coming back for more though, something about actually seeing those magnificient rings, could stare at it all night ;0)

Hello

When I was viewing saturn around the opposition a couple of months ago the Cassini division was readily visible with an 80mm refractor @ 167x magnification. However these days I have no chance as it has dropped into the murk...

I previously had this scope and agree that the bulk of the time (on planets) the 8mm eyepiece at 125x gave the best views. Occasionally I could push this a little but not often.I think that a 6mm or perhaps a barlowed 12.5mm ortho or plossl etc, at about 160x would be a good bet in that scope. I only had a 5.2mm eyepiece which was usually too much on planets at 192x.

With lunar and double stars this could be pushed a little bit more. A number of experienced people have told me this scope is an excellent refractor for the money after looking through my old one.

as others have said, looking for longer teases a little more detail out on planets but on Saturn there's not masses of detail like Mars and Jupiter. It's still a beauty though!

Thanks again for your comments, Shane I know you used to own the same scope as you have given me some great tips already (still trying to get the funds together for the Skywatcher dual speed Crayford) ;0)

I think I will persevere with Saturn until she dips too low on the horizon, cannot help but keep looking at that beauty! The 5mm is used quite a lot, I just struggle sometimes as I have to wear my glasses, so find it awkward trying to plaster my eye close up against the EP!

I am greatly looking forward to Jupiters return as I can remember the views I had through my less than competent Tasco 50mm frac when I was 12, still amazed me back then with the 2 main cloud belts visible and the major moons, so hopefully in the 120mm it should be a fair bit more impressive, any ideas when we can expect to see Jupiter high enough for some good observing?

sorry mate, of course I recall now our previous conversations! ;)

this is an excellent scope and Jupiter will be great to see this time around.

should be getting decent views around midnight by the end of July/beginning of August depending on your eastern/south eastern horizon :D

Archived