Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

johnh

Centaurus A with H alpha

SPX350 F4.53, ATK-16HR, Astrodon filters, OAG Mintron guidecam.

L HaRGB

L=20x5m

Ha=12x10m

RGB=12x5m each.

This close galaxy 12.2 lyrs away is part of the M83 group and has swallowed up a dusty spiral galaxy 500 mil yrs ago. This activity produced star burst along the dust edge shown by blue colour with Ha patches of gas. Cent A is an X-ray radio source from a super massive Black Hole which Chandra has shown a massive jet of particles. One of the most peculiar galaxies on show in the sky.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-13387762179_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877621798_thumb.jpg

Truly stunning. Do you know what the 'filament' looking feature is about 1/3rd of the way down on the RHS? Is this part of the galaxy, or something separate?

James

Wow. An absolutely stunning image of a stunning object.

If only we could see it up here in the north.

First class image as usual John, and it's good to see you turn your attention to this interesting galaxy. I love the colours....I don't remember seeing an image of this with such good colour detail before.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for sharing this with us 'northerners' a really unusual looking galaxy it is too. Top quality stuff John as usual ;)

Regards

Kevin

Spectacular detail in the central band. Makes you wonder what their Great Rift looks like! Great work!

A truly splendid image John, just beautiful - thank you for the information also regarding Cent A. ;)

Wow thanks guys glad you like the image, I thought Ha would add extra depth to the dust lane. The strange streak on the right must be from the galaxy merger as the two blackholes combine and cause a gravitational blast sending out material.

This galaxy is 7th mag and can just be glimpsed in binocs so is quite bright despite the dark lane, I went for more colour with an hour for each channel and lots of Ha as the dust extends a long way out.

Thanks again, John.

Outstanding, one ive never seen before on a here,nice to see something different. ;)

Holy smoke, I missed this one. What exquisite detail and colour. It must have been amazing to see the first sub come in revealing this little lot!

Incredible. Hearty congratulations.

Olly

Holey dooley! That is fantastic. One day when I grow up, I wanna image just like that.