Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ORION USA 80 mm FPL-53 Triplet CARBON FIBRE APO

What with TS having problems in checking and adjusting their latest batch of 80m FPL-53 Triplet APOs before shipping them out to the customer the very same optics are now available from ORION USA in a carbon fibre tube. To anyone who quastions the consistancy of these optics ORION USA wouldn't be adding them to their lineup as a step up from the FPL-53 ED80 doublet if they didn't make the grade.

Manufactuer's Blurb

ORION USA 80 mm ED CF CARBON FIBRE Apochromatic Refractor Telescope

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/ORION_USA_80_mm_ED_CF_CARBON_FIBRE.html

or

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-ed80t-cf-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.htm?term=triplet

• Fabulous triplet apo refractor performance - we believe this is as false-color-free as a refractor can be!
  • 80mm, f/6.0 design - great for wide-field visual or imaging use
  • Carbon-fiber construction - strong, light, thermally stable and darn good looking!
  • Robust dual-speed focuser - once you use this focuser you'll never want to use a single-speed again!
  • 2-inch dielectric mirror diagonal, finderscope bracket, dual dovetail/photo tripod adapter mounting block - for guided imaging or wide-field altazimuth star hopping
  • A perfect grab-n-go visual instrument AND an exceptional wide field astrograph

Orion is proud to announce an exciting addition to our already prestigious line of ED refractors, the 80mm apochromatic triplet Orion ED80T CF. With a triplet objective featuring FPL-53 extra-low dispersion glass, views come through true to color and exhibit tack-sharp resolution.

Apochromatic refractor telescopes have a devoted following amongst amateur astronomers, and for good reason. The crisp view offered by a high-quality apo refractor is truly a wonder to behold and share. Apochromatic refractors significantly reduce chromatic aberration, or false color, compared to standard achromatic refractor telescopes due to the use of "ED" (Extra-low Dispersion) optical glass and use of three optical elements. The visual and imaging benefits of apo refractors have helped to make them instruments of choice by many real-time observers and imaging experts alike.

The ED80T CF is a versatile power performer telescope well-suited for multiple applications. With a focal length of 480mm (f/6.0), its fast unobstructed optics yield detail-rich visual views of solar system and wide-field deep-sky objects alike. The triplet objective and ED optics virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations making the ED80T CF an excellent candidate for astrophotography use when used with an imaging-capable EQ mount and CCD or DSLR camera. The relatively small size and light weight of the telescope makes it perfectly portable for escapades to dark-sky locations for either visual or photographic expeditions. The retractable dew shield makes the ED80T CF even more compact for storage and transport, with a length of 14.3-inches with the dew shield fully retracted. The telescope measures 18.25-inches when the dew shield is fully extended to minimize peripheral glare and dew accumulation.

John

You should be on commission John :)

Now that's an idea. :) (if only)

John

PS

It's probably more to do with the bad press here on SGL recently about the TS80/480 after one members bad experience of buying one from TS (you know the thread) and sticking up for the quality of the optics.

What about a dedicated or suitable field flattener for one of these babys?

TS does one for their version of this scope.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1010_Universelle-Bildfeldebnung-fuer-Refraktoren-von-f-5-bis-f-8.html

See "User Reports" towards the bottom of the page.

John

But what a super piece of kit Russ.. it just screams high quality & the package includes a 2" dielectric diagonal also.

Super kit.. really super

The 2" Dielectric still isn't selling it for me :)

Had my eye on this for a while but Orion (and their dealers) out until August :D

It's probably more to do with the bad press here on SGL recently about the TS80/480 after one members bad experience of buying one from TS (you know the thread) and sticking up for the quality of the optics.

Yes, that was me. But it was two scopes...one after the other. Never doubted the optics...just the QC which was appauling like the quad they do ;)

You got one good one...I got two bad :)

I have more trust in Orion but they're still handled by TS apparently.

Still, this looks lovely and good value for money with the diagonal etc.

ps. when I get this I'll give an honest appraisal of it. ;)

August aint too bad, either, as it'll be nice and dark then too.

I must have a wide field and these two (above) are the choice at the moment (in my price range to quality ratio).

ps. when I get this I'll give an honest appraisal of it. :)

August aint too bad, either, as it'll be nice and dark then too.

I must have a wide field and these two (above) are the choice at the moment (in my price range to quality ratio).

Yes there is no excuse for TS shipping two bad scopes. Not when the earlier ones were so very, very good. ;) I supose in a way that's even more frustrating as they got it spot on before so why not now. :D

John

To be honest, John...if the scopes where in good condition (TS versions) there is no doubting they are beauts. Guess that's why I tried again.

Solid build, very good focuser and great optics (although I never got good night time with it :D ).

Nobody wanted the second one to arrive perfect more than me.

The weight was just right too (IMHO).

I'm lusting one of these now because, as you say, it's the same triplet cell but I'm also a fan of CF and I reckon Orion will demand better QC.

SCS are the ones who told me it's out until August. Widescreen are £80 more (seems their way on most stuff) but I expect to hear from them soon. You never know...they may have one ;)

Archived