Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow, not cheap

Fine apo refractors are expensive and a 14 inch, as stated above, is incredibly rare.

There are 6 optical surfaces, assuming it's a triplet, to be prepared and each is large. Keeping colour correction under control becomes increasingly difficult as aperture rises. You need to know, maybe, what a 14 inch refractor looks like. I observed, once, in a turn of the century 15 inch Grubb Parsons. You would need a decent crane to get it onto its mount.

If you look at the TEC site you see how going from 140mm to 180mm roughly trebles the price.

Olly

14" refractor.

It would be the ~41st largest refractor in the world according to wikipedia.

List of largest optical refracting telescopes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not something you could say of a 14" newt..

Derek

That lists is wrong - for example there is a 26.5 inch frac in Johannesburg. I should know - I've looked through it: http://assa.saao.ac.za/html/his-tel-innes-67c_26_5i.html

If you add that scope to this one Orion USA 50" Monster Dobsonian - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop which I think has been featured before, you should be covered assuming you don't set your garden and the surrounding neighbourhood on fire whilst using them.

Not sure which one you would desgnate as your 'grab-n-go scope'

Well, I'd love to look through one, but I don't think I'll be selling my house just yet ;)

Olly, I've just noticed that your gite is quite near to where I live. Do you accept drop in visits? :D

Most certainly we do. It would be a pleasure. Give me a PM or go through the website in my signature. If it's daytime we can always have a play with the solarscope.

Olly

If you add that scope to this one Orion USA 50" Monster Dobsonian - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop which I think has been featured before, you should be covered assuming you don't set your garden and the surrounding neighbourhood on fire whilst using them.

Not sure which one you would desgnate as your 'grab-n-go scope'

That's a very expensive shop! Still, its in the heart of Westminster (great skies lol!) so it's what you'd expect!

No mount though. Do you think I could get away with an HEQ5 for this or would I need an EQ6? :o:D:mad:

Nah...you'd definitely have to wait for the EQ8 :)

But seriously I think the mount would cost nearly as much as the scope. ;) One for the dreams of lottery winners I'm afraid

John

... Keeping colour correction under control becomes increasingly difficult as aperture rises.

Olly

Yes but not so much as focal length increases as it does with this scope. Still making big diameter glass is not going to be cheap

Archived