Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pictures of your set up

Viv

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice setup BertUK (or can I call you Bert) :)

We have the same patio furniture !

My stuff has to come in and out the french windows though - no room for a permanent setup here at the moment :icon_scratch:

Nice setup BertUK (or can I call you Bert) :)

We have the same patio furniture !

My stuff has to come in and out the french windows though - no room for a permanent setup here at the moment :icon_scratch:

cheers and its not permanent m8 i have to take mine back in the french doors only 2 yards to the left of where i took the pic.....only takes minutes tho

Not the greatest of pics, but hey ho.

Believe it or not, this OTT setup actually works.....just.

Normally this is what I observe with, minus the Tal 1. But I couldn't resist trying it out for fun.

6097045227_52077b86a8_z.jpg

6097040389_8e1329c1c1_z.jpg

;-)

Andy.

I've shown it before, but not in this thread, so here's my 10" Sumerian Optics Dobsonian, which I absolutely love. 20kg of telescope which goes from a small case to a full Dobsonian in about 10 minutes and allows me to go off roaming into the hills around me. The best night I've had with it so far was at Martindale above Ullswater, and watching Saturn rise behind Loadpot Hill - magical.

Of course, I still need another smaller scope, for those fleeting moments in-between clouds at home in the garden, but that's proving a very tricky decision.

post-23432-133877653793_thumb.jpg

post-23432-133877653802_thumb.jpg

post-23432-133877653808_thumb.jpg

post-23432-133877653814_thumb.jpg

post-23432-133877653819_thumb.jpg

Wow that is some scope you have there!

I would not mind something like this myself however I still think I shall end up with the 8 inch SCT at some point this year.

Today I took delivery of the flange fitting for a moonlite crayford focuser so is now attached to my Skywatcher Equinox 80 ED refractor :(

I need to get a grub screw to replace the screw which held the standard finder bracket at some point.

I also need to get either a longer dovetail saddle or a longer dovetail bar although how I attach it to the L-Bracket might need some thought. :)

stunning looks that scope Mark.

what's that RDF? is it a Baader Skysurfer 3? how do you rate it? I am considering one for my new purchase, a used 90mm f5.5 achro. do you find you end up on your knees a lot to get positioned?

I have a home made tall wooden tripod I may shorten slightly for this frac or I could use an old birding Manfrotto 055 that I have.

Thanks Shane,

Yeah it is the sky surfer V.

I find its the best RDF that I have seen. The 40mm optics mean you can really see a decent amount of sky around the red dot and also I tend to sight using both eyes open which is perfect for nailing alignment.

I find that even though I sit to observe the RDF does mean you need to crane your neck a bit but it is manageable due to the larger optics.

The 11 point adjustable red dot is spot on. number 1 setting is perfect for DSO and about 4-5 for planetary/lunar work. The higher settings are really only good for daylight hours.

Its basically a converted rifle sight and is built accordingly which is reflected in the price which they ask. I have aligned it once and after repeated times being fitted and removed the alignment has not budged one bit.

I myself love Telrads on larger OTA's however in my opinion it just looks oversized when used on short focal length refractors like this one I have.

I use the known FOV of my eyepieces to judge how much sky I am seeing.

For instance:

36mm EP equates to 4.5 degrees

24mm equals 3 degrees

13mm equals 2 degrees

cheers Mark

all sounds great. my other consideration is a Rigel Quikfinder but the larger window of the Baader seems good.

I also considered the Quikfinder but was put off by the small window and did not fancy the reliability of double sided adhesive tape to keep it in place.

funny you should say that as I have just looked at a Baader iii and this would possibly stick on the tube rings or the middle of the OTA and therefore be a bit further from the eyes/make for less neck straining? being lighter (and a lot cheaper) it may be OK especially as it's a quick align only given the potential 4+ degree field of the scope.

Archived