Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pictures of your set up

Viv

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my current, settled setup. I will change things around come the winter becuase I would like to get it all conneceted up to the wi-fi in the house - and not freeze to death like I almost did last year :D

At the moment its on a VPN using Tight VNC between the notebook (stashed safely in the plastic storage box with all the vital electircs) - and this laptop, so the range is a little limited. Even though im on wireless N , its stilll not sufficient becuase my garden slopes down and away from the house, so there would be a lot of brick and earth in the way between the netbook and the house router. Therefore most of he remote control is done from the spartan comfort of the utility room, not so great when the washing machine is on though!

Pardon the amount of masking tape on the whole setup, the FW cover made out of an animal food box from the safari park and the absrudly long dew shield. But if I didnt use them I would be attacked by dew, gradients, cable drag and flexure "in less time than it takes a norwegian to buy ski boots".

The finderscope is superglued onto a wooden dovetail and has never given me any problems. Its a really cheap and effective solution the problem of attaching two finders when you main finder-shoe is taken up by a finderguider.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63088&stc=1&d=1310295864

attachment.php?attachmentid=63089&stc=1&d=1310295864

attachment.php?attachmentid=63090&stc=1&d=1310295864

post-18171-13387763192_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877631927_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877631937_thumb.jpg

This is my current, settled setup. I will change things around come the winter becuase I would like to get it all conneceted up to the wi-fi in the house - and not freeze to death like I almost did last year :D

At the moment its on a VPN using Tight VNC between the notebook (stashed safely in the plastic storage box with all the vital electircs) - and this laptop, so the range is a little limited. Even though im on wireless N , its stilll not sufficient becuase my garden slopes down and away from the house, so there would be a lot of brick and earth in the way between the netbook and the house router. Therefore most of he remote control is done from the spartan comfort of the utility room, not so great when the washing machine is on though!

Pardon the amount of masking tape on the whole setup, the FW cover made out of an animal food box from the safari park and the absrudly long dew shield. But if I didnt use them I would be attacked by dew, gradients, cable drag and flexure "in less time than it takes a norwegian to buy ski boots".

The finderscope is superglued onto a wooden dovetail and has never given me any problems. Its a really cheap and effective solution the problem of attaching two finders when you main finder-shoe is taken up by a finderguider.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63088&stc=1&d=1310295864

attachment.php?attachmentid=63089&stc=1&d=1310295864

attachment.php?attachmentid=63090&stc=1&d=1310295864

those are truly beautiful images...........

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

Here's my current set up, just completed. I bought a 16" OOUK primary, the tube and rings and then set about putting the rest together. made the base and alt wheels, the cell and did loads more to get it to usable state. see http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/140533-16-f4-orion-optics-uk-dobsonian-project.html if you want to read the story.

in the other pic it's next to my other scope, a 6" f11 planetary dob which is also shown in the other pic, where it lives on my home made equatorial platform.

post-17776-133877643638_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877643644_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877643649_thumb.jpg

Hey there Darvey!

Two thumbs way up, mate! Your setup looks grand!

Don't worry about the stutters you experience learning how to use it, we all have these growing pains. :)

The one nice thing about them is that they encourage us to go out and meet other astronomers, and then later on to have pity on the next noob down the line! Kind of like a 'Father & Son' thing... without the diapers or midnight feedings! :smiley:

Cheers!

Dan

An update to my setup now I have got my Alt/Az mount instead of bits thrown together from my photography kit bag.

A lovely Tele-optic Giro III mounted on a heavy duty photo tripod with a Berlebach M10 to 1/4 inch adapter.:D (Thanks Bender AKA Andre)

All ready for my trip to Ireland next month. Just need to wait for the replacement focuser to arrive and then done for a while although a longer dovetail bar would help with balancing. :(

However an eight inch SCT would look lovely on the other end of the alt/az mount :)

Archived