Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Non terrestrial objects in front of sun?

anthony

Hi,

Just having a look at the sun in white light and a round object crossed in front of the sun. It only passed through about 2/3 of the diameter and took about a second to do so. Didn't appear to be rotating

Fairly round and not reminiscent of any regular shaped thing (bird, plane) even if viewing it quite distantly. About twice the size of the main sun spot (a close pair) that is visible at present.

So terrestrial or non terrestrial?

How frequently do more regular solar viewers see something like this?

Anthony

I see these quite regularly. You can always use one of the many satellite apps to find out if it is one... However, I think you will find it is something of terrestial origin - If it was about twice the size of the large spot in AR11236 then definitely - ISS is approximately the same size as that large spot as viewed from earth, so, twice the size, well unless there's some pretty darn big things up there we don't know about my money is on something earthbound.

The only orbiting space clutter you're likely to be able to see is the International Space Station. Most other artificial satellites are only 2" across or less, and barely visible even under optimum conditions. I did a quick check and the ISS didn't transit the sun from the Bristol area today, so it's likely to be something of terrestrial origin.

Archived