Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Badgers slide off roof

Airwave_flyer

Here are a few pics of a shed modification into a cheap Obs.

Doner shed was a 12x8 partitioned into 2 sections with an old fence panel, roof was jacked up by 2" and slides across the other half.

Goes to show that it does not have to cost the earth to get an obs.

To do:

Make a side entrance to the warm room. DONE.

Make a door between the warm room and Obs.

Line inside of both sides.

Fill the pier hole with concrete.

Fit the pier.

Cable the pier.

Make some wheels for the slide part to make it smoother to operate.

Fit the alarm system.

post-20289-133877620506_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620514_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620522_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620531_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620538_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620545_thumb.jpg

post-20289-133877620551_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the thumbs up Kev.

Gina the shed was used as a workshop and housed my milling machine till recently, I agree about the cost (circa £350.00 when I purchased it a few years ago) but still much cheaper than a commercial Obs.

The mods to the roof cost less than £10.00 as old fence panels donated the wood used to jack the roof up, the other 4 pieces and screws were from B&Q, notice the use of some scrounged fence paint that is a different colour to the rest of the shed (creosote).

I will need to buy some ply or plasterboard, but again am hoping to reclaim some used product to keep the cost down, after all in the dark who cares what it looks like ;o)

Very nice, and a nested apex design too... How did you modify the roof so that it runs..

It's amazing how much things have gone up... we paid £350 for a 5 x 7 shed three years ago... 12 x 8's from the same company start at £700

I agree about the cost (circa £350.00 when I purchased it a few years ago) but still much cheaper than a commercial Obs.

I will need to buy some ply or plasterboard, but again am hoping to reclaim some used product to keep the cost down, after all in the dark who cares what it looks like ;o)

Looks functional, well done.

I doubt you'd get a decent shed of that size for anywhere near that price nowadays. The other problem with modded sheds is that they typically rely on the roof as an integral part of the structural integrity of the building. Without a roof the walls lose a great deal of strength.

Personally I'd avoid plasterboard for what is essentially an external build.

It will be interesting to see how you fit wheels to the roof. I presume you'll add rails of some sort.

A great conversion and a great example of how an obsy can be made without a massive expense.

As Kev says I would also avoid plasterboard on this, as the shed is going to be prone to changes in levels of moisture and humidity which will gradually destroy the plasterboard.

I cant wait to see it progress to the finals result.

Not sure how to answer all the comments seperatly so will do it all in one.

Thanks for all the comments, sorry to dissapoint but no badgers were harmed in the build, you are a blood thirsty lot!

I purchased the shed online some 3 years ago (or thereabouts) and it is a cheap overlap design hence the need to line the inside, I thought I would staple some tarpaulin around the inside first before fixing the ply (thanks for the heads up on not using plasterboard.

The roof is as I said just jacked up by placing some 1.5X2" battens on the top of the old sides on one half, sounds more complex than it was, I will post some more pics when it progresses.

If I had no donor shed to use then I would have made one from scratch with tongue and groove boards and changed the layout somewhat, maybe next time around.

I can assure you all that the pictures look better than real life, but as long as it is watertight in a storm (no ingress during that latest bad weather) that is all I care about, the fact it looks just like an old shed may be a plus point.

I have worked out that it will save at least an hour each time I wish to use the kit and the warm room will be a real godsend, I will feel so spoilt.

The most expensive part is going to be the 3/4 tonne of concrete to bolt the pier to.

All I need now is for Niel to rewrite the SGL focuser code to include a dew heater and guider ;o)

Thanks all, Badger

....damn it...I was hoping you wouldn't mention the focus control...

I have a new focuser and have july and August off so as long as the baby doesn't come early I'll get it done in July (baby is due August 6th..)

Duel focus control, cloud sensor and rain sensor is the plan for July.

You don't have to harm the Badgers whilst sliding them down the roof...put comfy cushions at the bottom.

Hey Neil

No worries re the focuser, I only mentioned it because I recognised your name, thats the trouble with you being famous on here. I must give the cloud sensor a go, what about a web enabled version so we can all share data on one map?

I made up my L293 version of the SGL focuser in a small diecast box (about 3x2x1") as a stanalone unit on some vero, I did the same for the hurried Ascom guider (my parallel port went kaput) and they do not look too bad either, though I need not have rushed given the lack of dark skies at this time of year and the obs build taking up all my time.

Good luck with the Baby and enjoy your spare time while you can ;o)

Regards Badger

• 4 years later...

Hi Badger

I have only recently come to this topic and am impressed with your observatory style as I think it's the answer for me.  I have had a word with a joiner friend who thinks he can work from your roof(s) design for a 6ft by 6ft apex shed in my back garden.  Such a lot of variables to think about but before I get stuck in I would find it really helpful to see yours in action and learn from your experiences with your observatory.  Would that be possible in principle?  I live near Derby but am coming south to visit relatives in the next few weeks.

Regards

Tony

Archived