Narrowband

42, left it a bit late.....

badboybubby

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, just to reassure you i'm 44 and only started this year also. If you have google earth you can tick a box in "layers",bottom left titled weather, this will then give you real time satellite images of the weather any where on the planet.

Hi Scott,

I've never experienced a dark sky from Las Vegas, it's always felt like putting my head into an oven whenever I've stepped off the plane there. But I guess you meant somewhere more rural in Nevada. Anyway it's great to hear how people got interested in astronomy. I hope you get some enjoyable nights ahead with your new scope. And there is nothing old about 42 !

Greetings, Chris

42 isn't bad. I've only just got back into things after years away from astro, and I'm only 9 years behind you.

Besides, astronomy and geology are good hobbies for people of more advanced years - you get to spend all your time looking at things that are guaranteed to be older than you. :)

42 isn't bad. I've only just got back into things after years away from astro, and I'm only 9 years behind you.

Besides, astronomy and geology are good hobbies for people of more advanced years - you get to spend all your time looking at things that are guaranteed to be older than you. :)

That's a point!

lol :)

Hi, Scott, and welcome to the forum.

So ... the ultimate question of life the universe and everything is 'at what age is it best to take up astronomy as a new hobby?' ...

Weather websites tend to have a very poor reputation with members of the forum. However, my own personal (not very scientific) 'research' (noting what the site says and then seeing if it is right or not) suggests that 7Timer! - numerical weather forecast for anywhere over the world is pretty accurate most of the time. <Grabs hard hat and dives for cover>:)

Noticed you are using an HTC Desire. Couple of useful apps:

Astro Pane: weather and visibility app, localized to you.

SkEye: like having a push to system in your pocket.

Google Sky: similar to SkEye, different features.

GPS Status. Useful for accurate time, location and polar alignment as well as giving you a tilt meter.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Not too late at 42, there are many amateur Astronomers who start when they retire as they feel it's something they have always been interested in but never had the time before. So a widespread age group.

Anyway, welcome to astronomy and SGL, lots of advice on here if you need to ask anything.

Carole

Hi Scott

A very warm welcome to the SGL, I started this hobby when I was 55 years old that was three years ago and love it hope you do as well congrats on your new scope

all the best

Doug

Welcome new friend. I am a mere 71 and I started astronomy about 10 years ago. Time spent gazing upwards through a telescope is never wasted. Not too sure about astronomy 'news' though as it seems no longer have I absorbed it than it is claimed to be wrong and a new theory is proposed in its place! I can't keep up with that side of it. The beauty and wonder of the night sky is enough for me.

Archived