Narrowband

Clouds & Telescopes

Snaggerman

LOL yes Murphy has a lot of explaining to do I reckon!

Thought I'd share my best lunar eclipse photo with you from the 15th...

However I did get myself a TAL-1 Russian telescope, 110mm F7.3, eBay good condition pretty well built by the looks of it. Particularly excellent views of the leaves on my tree so far!

post-26517-133877620154_thumb.jpg

Ah! So it's your fault for all this cloudy weather?

From what I read on here, the new scope curse is quite common.

And nothing at all to do with the prevailing weather in Britain...

And nothing at all to do with the prevailing weather in Britain...

Since January I've been thinking about a new scope, there has been very very little rain over here and one of the worst ski seasons in living memory and crops are failing because of the lack of precipitation. Yesterday I finally succumbed and bought a scope for delivery on Tuesday, about 3/4 of an hour after getting the confirmation email it started to rain, it is still raining

I think it might be because the weather is usually clear for, lets say a week and then cloudy for a week. So in the clear week you go out and see the stars. This inspires you to buy a telescope and by the time it arrives, so has the cloudy week.

I think it might be because the weather is usually clear for, lets say a week and then cloudy for a week. So in the clear week you go out and see the stars. This inspires you to buy a telescope and by the time it arrives, so has the cloudy week.

Thats what happened for me anyway.

My theory is that the importers receive the optical equipment from the Far East wrapped in clouds. As soon as they open the crates to dispatch your scope, those clouds float into the sky. More eco-friendly than polystyrene pellets admittedly but, come on!

Cloud Seeding could be the answer - Fill the clouds with silver iodide to concentrate the moisture over the atlantic to cause a downpour and "use up the rain" then lots of cloud free nights (i think...)!

HowStuffWorks "Can China control the weather?"

Or similarly, Operation Cumulus by the RAF in the 50s caused downpours by dropping dry ice into clouds.

Instructions:

1) Get a plane

2) Be all kinds of secretive

3) get lots of dry ice

4) drop dry ice into clouds away from where you want to observe the sky, before the clouds get blown over your area

5) race home

6) look at the sky

7) hope you don't cause massive damage to life or crops

8) feel slightly weird for messing with nature

Hope that helps!

Archived