1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Best Nagler for the moon.

Astrodread

Hi all

Im thinking of making that big jump up to Televue Nagler. ive been using a family of planetary tmb clones which im most happy with. Ive been thinking about getting a Nagler that shows the whole moon in my f5 10 inch dobsonian. any recomendations? love to here from some of you that have a similar set up. how the naglers perform.

thanks for your time.

Pete (astrodread)

With a Nagler it is possible to see the whole lunar disc in the FOV up to 150x, so 11mm (114x) or even 9mm (140x) would work rather nicely.

It's a bit tricky to choose between 9 and 11mm as 9mm is only just big enough to fit the whole moon, but you may find the magnification a little too low to see small details in the 11mm... These are Type 6s

Andrew

With a Nagler it is possible to see the whole lunar disc in the FOV up to 150x, so 11mm (114x) or even 9mm (140x) would work rather nicely.

It's a bit tricky to choose between 9 and 11mm as 9mm is only just big enough to fit the whole moon, but you may find the magnification a little too low to see small details in the 11mm... These are Type 6s

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that's answered one of my queries whilst contemplating the eclipse the other night. I might opt for a type 6.

Many Thanks! :)

Andrew

These would have been two of my choices also for an f5 Dob.

Although with slightly less mag, I think the 13mm is worth consideration.

As is the Pentax XW14.

Both give a bit more of wide view and barlow very well for those close-up moments of fine seeing.

IMHO they're also a better all-round EP if you are on a budget.

The Pentax arguably gives a cleaner view, but I find one needs to keep one's eye positioned just "so", to maintain the view. Hurts my neck but others have no problems.

I suppose you could go the Ethos or ES100 route, but their ergonomics are not for everyone and they're a tad pricey.

I had a set of Nagler T6's (all except the 11mm) for quite a time and they were superb medium to high power eyepieces. I have to say though that I felt the Pentax XW 10mm was just a little better on Saturn but the difference was very, very slight. The 10mm is considered one of the best, if not the best, XW.

The 8mm Ethos which I now have shows me the full lunar disk plus some space aroud the edge at 150x with my 10" F/4.8 newtonian. The effect is rather stunning to say the least :)

I'll second the 13T6 also how about a 12T4? Both will fit the full moon in the FOV and in my 10" F4.7 Dob the 12T4 spends an awful lot of time in the focuser tube, x100 is just about perfect for viewing everything.

I will say that I have had the 13mm for some serious lunar observations now and it is stunning. A real work horse that I use every session. It fits in the whole moon easily, but at such a good magnification, so much is visible.

Plus it is so small and light compared to others. The 11mm and 9mm I can imagine would be equally as good, with just a little less sky around the moon.

Just remember to read up on the different type of naglers. The 12mm and 13mm apart from the magnifications, are quite different things.

HTH

All posts are great thanks so much. if any one has any links that are relevent that would be great. im straight of to televue site to read more now.

I must stop spending time on the (show me your eyepiece case) thread. seeing all those televues, WO, ES etc is making me dribble

Hi astrodad, I would agree with the comments on the 13mm Nagler, I have used it a lot on the Moon with my cpc 925 and have really enjoyed the views given...in fact I have found I do not need to bother with a Moon filter when using it even when its approaching a full Moon.

I must stop spending time on the (show me your eyepiece case) thread. seeing all those televues, WO, ES etc is making me dribble

It is a very very very slippery road :)

13mm Nagler, I have used it a lot on the Moon with my cpc 925 and have really enjoyed the views given...in fact I have found I do not need to bother with a Moon filter when using it even when its approaching a full Moon.

I personally do need a filter. But I have an 8" reflector so things might be a little different. I also am quite young so my pupils open quite wide. A baader neo is thin enough just to take off the glare, not much more :)

Ok so im thinking a 11mm T6 or 13mm T6. mainly on price as the 12mm T4 is roughly £50 pounds more than the others. got some serious saving to do. mind you theres always Astronomy buy and sell.

On another note. i wondered what nagler would be an alrounder for DSO. ive got a 2" 42mm GSO and a 28mm 2"SW. i find that i see less stars and the brightness of the stars drops alot in comparison to my 1.25" TMB clones. i wondered if this the nature of 2" eyepieces or that once you go past a focal length does the brightnes drop?

Edited by Astrodread

On another note. i wondered what nagler would be an alrounder for DSO. ive got a 2" 42mm GSO and a 28mm 2"SW. i find that i see less stars and the brightness of the stars drops alot in comparison to my 1.25" TMB clones. i wondered if this the nature of 2" eyepieces or that once you go past a focal length does the brightnes drop?

Higher magnification darkens the background sky which makes faint objects easier to see. With the lack of proper darkness this time of year I find my 20mm Nagler more effective than my 31mm Nagler on deep sky objects because of this.

I also suspect that the optical quality of the TMB clones will be better than those of the 2" eyepieces you mention but that would be a lesser issue than the extra magnficiation.

Edited by John

13mm Nagler type 6 works for me.

Celestron NexStar 8SE

Celestron 7AH Power Tank

Celestron dew shield

GSO 2" diagonal

GSO 8x50mm RACI

Bob's knobs

Hand Control Mounting Bracket (JMI)

Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser

Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads

Eyepieces: Astro Tech Titan Type II ED 40mm, Panoptic 35mm, GTO Proxima 31mm, Panoptic 27mm, 20mm Nagler T5, Baader Hyperion 17mm, 13mm Nagler Type 6, ES 6.7mm N2

Orion UltraView 10x50 Wide-Angle Binocular

StarDust Observing Chair

Hi Pete

I have a homemade 10" f/4.5 Dob. Which I use for DSO.

I am a bit of an eyepiece minimumist in that I only use Two eyepieces in that scope.

A 12mm T4 and a 20mm T5 couple these with a 2" 2x Powermate and that's all I need.

I do have other eyepieces but these are the ones that I feel work best in my small Dob.

Regards Steve

Nice thanks steve. I would be interested in seing your home made dob. thinking of posting some photos of mine some time.

Thanks to all for your responces. All i need to do is save pounds and wait for the right eyepieces to show. i dream of Ethos but not posible at that price. nagler is within reach.

Ok so im thinking a 11mm T6 or 13mm T6. mainly on price as the 12mm T4 is roughly £50 pounds more than the others.

I wouldn't discount the 12T4 on the basis of that, yes it's more expensive but I feel it is more immersive, eye relief is very comfy too. Don't just take my word for it there quite a bit of info on cloudy nights in the 'reports' section.