sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Tracking with a SupaTrak mount

King

Hi, I've been using an auto-tracking Alt-Azimuth Mount for a while but have yet to get my head round tracking stars (thereby being able to photograph stars, not star trails).

I'll give a short summary of what is mentioned in the manual:

• Set the latitude to 0 (northern hemisphere)
  • Point the telescope tube North using directional keys
  • Having reached this Home position, turn the power off then back on (I take that as unplug/replug the cable as there is no off switch or such)
Then it says about the optional setting of local latitude for "accurate tracking":
  • Set the latitude to 0
  • Turn power off then on again
  • Set the latitude scale to your local latitude
  • Press the "Fast" and "Slow" buttons simultaneously to store the local latitude to the system.
After the setting up, it mentions pressing "Guide" and "Slow" "in combination" (which I take as "simultaneously") which activates tracking mode, identified by the flashing "Guide", "Slow" or "Fast" (whichever you set) and doing the sequence again when you want to turn off tracking. That seems to run fine as far as activating/deactivating the flashing buttons/auto-movement is concerned but it doesn't follow what I'm looking at so it stays in the same position on the screen/eyepiece. It just appears to me that you can set "guide", "slow" or "fast".

Is there something I'm missing on how to accurately track an object?

I've gotten this far because I can get by with manual following as far as CCD imaging is concerned but now I'm getting into DSLR stuff this needs sorting out!

Edited by King

To enable the mount to track at sidereal rate you then need to centre your target in the eyepiece/camera and then press the "Guide" and "Slow" buttons simultaneously. Pressing the same combination of buttons again disables tracking. The instructions on enabling the tracking function are on the next pages of the instruction manual following setting up the local latitude.

Peter

Thanks, and yes I read that, though something you mentioned just clicked. I would turn on tracking and then center the object (in order to facilitate precision and avoid skipping past). I guess that explains it?

And Telrad, I didn't know about that at all, that will be helpful!

Edited by King

Thanks, and yes I read that, though something you mentioned just clicked. I would turn on tracking and then center the object (in order to facilitate precision and avoid skipping past). I guess that explains it?

And Telrad, I didn't know about that at all, that will be helpful!

You're welcome King :)

That was a nugget of advice I was given a while back when I had initial setup problems with my SW 'Auto'. Good luck!