SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nikon Lens Adapter for Astro CCD...

fatwoul

I'll be getting my 314L+ soon, and it's got me thinking about all the wonderful Nikon glass I have lying around, which I'd love to use with both that camera and my Atik Titan.

I've got a mixture of both old Nikon AF lenses, with aperture rings, and a lot of the newer G lenses, without aperture rings.

What's my best option, currently, for an adapter to fit all these different lenses onto my CCDs?

I know Geoptik make Nikon adapters, and describe one of them as "digital", but does this mean it is designed to work with G lenses (which would require some kind of connection so you could open and close the aperture)? I'm doubtful, because both Nikon adapters always seem to be the same price, but a G-lens compatible one would surely need to be more complicated/expensive.

I've seen some other unspecified makes on eBay, but that all seems a bit shonky, and I still haven't determined whether they'd work with G-lenses.

Also, would an adapter that allows the use of G-lenses in turn prohibit the use of older lenses? I'd like one that would just work on all my glass.

It probably doesn't matter greatly, and the lens I most want to use with CCDs is my 85mm/1.4, which has an aperture ring, but I'd like the option of trying my 14-24mm G-lens, too.

Thanks everyone.

Does the lens retain the last aperture set on the camera?

If so, use a camera to set the aperture, disconnect and conncet to a simple mechanical holder connecting the Atik CCD. That's what I plan to do with my Canon Lenses when time permits..

Cheers

If so, use a camera to set the aperture, disconnect and conncet to a simple mechanical holder connecting the Atik CCD. That's what I plan to do with my Canon Lenses when time permits..

Cheers

I have to do this as well. I heard that TS do an adapter that allows for filters to be changed. I have't followed it up because I have a Geoptik now.

Olly

Nope, that's the problem. Nikon G-lenses close down to minimum aperture when not attached to a camera. Basic adapters can just open the lens up to max aperture when you attach the lens, but I'm not sure I'd always want to use the lenses at their most open, since most of them are at their best at about f/5.6-8.

Nope, that's the problem. Nikon G-lenses close down to minimum aperture when not attached to a camera. Basic adapters can just open the lens up to max aperture when you attach the lens, but I'm not sure I'd always want to use the lenses at their most open, since most of them are at their best at about f/5.6-8.

Can't see a way round this...

Ollt

If you can get them full open, you can always make a simple cardboard aperture mask to stick in front of the lens to stop it down to whatever aperture you want...

Aha, now I've asked around about this and opinion seemed to vary. I'm delighted that you think it would work because I'd love to try it. It would get rid of diffraction effects around bright stars and give fine control over the aperture. The doubters seemed to worry about the effects of a frontal mask on a compound lens with elements far behind it.

I guess the thing is to try it. I will!

Olly

OK, good to know. The idea of a front mask aperture on my 85/1.4 makes me queazy, but that lens isn't the problem as it has an aperture ring. The problem is the 14-24, which I don't think could be used with a front aperture, considering the size and shape of the front element, and the FOV.

So then, as far as the adapters go, what's the difference between this one and this one?

OK, good to know. The idea of a front mask aperture on my 85/1.4 makes me queazy, but that lens isn't the problem as it has an aperture ring. The problem is the 14-24, which I don't think could be used with a front aperture, considering the size and shape of the front element, and the FOV.

So then, as far as the adapters go, what's the difference between this one and this one?

Aren't they the same link?

Olly

They have two different product codes and slightly different descriptions, whether they are actually different pieces of kit I dont know.

I must admit Ive been interested in this as well, but not at present, something I want to try in the future when I decide to get into CCD imaging in a serious way.

Archived