Narrowband

Daytime alignment?

vulcan

I have NexStar 6se and a NEQ6 Pro mounts to which I can attach my new PST and have figured how to attach it upright on both with a Manfrotto tilt head. What I haven't figured out is how to do a sky alignment in the daytime with only one star (The Sun). I have rough polar alignment (with chalk marks) but how do I get the mounts to track the Sun?

For all my solar imaging, I have a HEQ5pro, is just dump the mount down on the marks, set the controller to Solar and off you go....

you can use any slight dec drift to "drift" align the mount.....works for me.

Alignment.... pah! As long as the image does not move about too far and does not jerk (smooth motion only) then Registax and AviStack will have no trouble processing it. Just apply small adjustments as required. To align I use a solfinder or just minimise the shadow behind the scope.

Cheers

PEterW

If you use your SE mount, it may well have an option for 'solar system align'. If it does you can use the sun as your alignment reference. You may need to burrow through the menus a bit to fit the 'sun' menu where it allows you to include the sun in choices (its a safety feature). I can give you detailed instructions on how to set it all up if you want, just let me know (its been my standard method of sun viewing!).

Helen

Archived