SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS sketch through 10" Dob

RikM

Last night was 'First light' for my new Skyliner 250PX and I had an absoloute blast.

After checking and tweaking the collimation, I centred Arcturus in the EP and aligned the finder, then swung over to Saturn which is always a lovely sight. I could see 6 moons last night which is the most I have ever seen in one go.

As I was swinging the scope over towards Vega to try and track down M57 I saw a very bright moving light coming up from the south west.

ISS!!!

I have never been able to follow it with a scope as I have only had EQ mounted scopes before but now with a fair size dob available???

I gave it a go and got it in the eyepiece :) Wow...does it move fast. I still had an 8.8mm UWA in from viewing Saturn and it was still pretty much focussed so really couldn't have been better. I soaked up as much detail as I could and got it down onto paper as soon as possible. I have scanned and inverted it. I have no idea if the scale of the thing in the eyepiece circle is correct. I rather suspect it was a lot smaller than this, but I was concentrating so hard on keeping it in the field of view and amazed that I could actually see so much structure.

Rain stopped play soon after, but I am very pleased with my new scope and I couldn't have asked for much better on the first night out. I would almost say it was worth the price of the new scope just for that.

post-18573-133877619599_thumb.jpg

post-18573-133877619606_thumb.jpg

Brilliant report and first outing, like the sketch, I have got the ISS via my 12" dob, just a brief glimpse (at 46x) as it receded a couple of months ago.

Watched both passes last night 2248 and 0015, high and appeared slower than usual, only had my bins out.

I think dobs are great value for money.

Amazing that you managed to track it at that mag!

Archived