Narrowband

Eyepiece upgrade

AlphaRob

Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading my eyepieces from the basic ones supplied with my SW130P. First off, any recommendations? I'm looking at up to about £40 - £50 max per eyepiece.

Secondly, I've been looking at the Celestron Omni EPs and the SW SP Plossls, and on the FLO site they seem to have the same blurb for both makes. Are they essentially the same bit of kit just at different prices? I've heard that Celestron and SW gear comes out of the same factory...

I've also been looking at the Vixen NPLs which seem quite nice for the money...

Cheers!

Hi Rob,

My recommendation would be for some of these:

TS 1,25' ED Okular 15mm - 60° ebenes Bildfeld - hoher Kontrast

They are superb for the money. Nothing else in the sub £50 price range to touch them.

Also these for the higher power:

HR Planetenokular - 8mm Brennweite - 1,25' - 60° WW Feld

They are usually available from the UK for less but not currently available. :)

Btw they are appreciably better than any of the eyepieces you shortlisted above. I owned 3 Omni Plossls, they were okay better than the supplied SW eyepieces but still nothing special. The SW Plossl are more or less the same. The Vixen NPL looks better but no better to look through. Rob had a couple of NPL's and they were made to look quite poor by a Stirling Plossl he also had.

i would got for the bst explorer's with ed lense's form skies the limit very good quality eps i have a 12mm and im deffo getting a few more would like to build a collection of these for the price of £41 each i personaly think the optics for them are second to none when i got my 12mm i was so supprised at the quality and it has ajustable eyerelief

.... i personaly think the optics for the mone are second to none when i got my 12mm i was so supprised at the quality.....

Just out of interest, what did you compare your 12mm with ?.

Thanks.

Bought 8mm BST from Skys the limit, £38, very chuffed with it. Also they let you try before buy so I chose the BST over a TMB.

So you can get a BST from them on "try before you buy" but not a TMB - is that correct ?

Archived