Jump to content

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

A Visual observing "vs" Imaging Poll. Which one are you ?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like I've let the side down :-( Honestly guys, it was only once. I had had a few drinks and she tempted me. I'm still the same person - can you forgive me?

Wow! Good job digging up a  5 year old thread!!

yup.. think mines now moved to 98% observing clouds & the rest split between searching for a gap with the bino's & imaging clouds when the gap closes again !!

Most definately visual only. The less leads the better.

Electronics Engineer and I hate doing anything electrical/computer related outside of work!

Agree with some posts that the skies should be better in the UK:)

Currently sailing across the Southern Pacific and the skies are superb. Makes me cry when I get back the the dusty light polluted northern hemisphere!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

I stared as visual but since I have had on going problems with my eyes ( 2 detached retinas in both eyes now) I find that imaging lets me see the target in detail. Once my latest eye problem is sorted i may go visual for a bit just to enjoy the sights as they are but I know imaging is less of a strain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am visual only at the moment , haven't even caught the aperture bug yet.

May dabble with a webcam in the future, not so sure of the full on AP money pit tho.

I agree they're not mutually exclusive probably most imagers have some sort of visual equipment as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

99% imaging for me, as it lets me see so much more than I could with the bare eye. The other 1% is sweeping with bins while my subs are coming in.

When I upgrade the HEQ5 for imaging I'll put a 'scope on it for visual while imaging.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I replied to this thread in 2011 my answer was "I like both. I tend to have periods when I will only image and then periods when it is purely visual"

Now it is 99% imaging, only visual when our club has a public open night.

Even with comet Catalina I imaged it although I did also have a look with my 8x42 bins but not a telescope.

 

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both for me too. For observing I prefer to use my eyes and binoculars.  Time and weather permitting I prefer to image rather than observe with my telescopes.  I'm not very keen on standing at the telescope observing.  I don't like the cold to be honest. Bit of a drawback for an astronomer that! :-) Imaging requires me to be active whilst setting everything up. Then I can get snug in my warmish room (the shed) and gather data. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

100% visual at the moment.  One day in the future, with more tme / older kids / home observatory I might dabble in imaging, but I'm not sure I have the patience to be much good.  I sometimes think about getting an all-sky cam and setting up an automated meteor survey, but many other priorities!!

I did get some lovely images of Hale Bopp back in the late 90s.  But I used something called "film".

Link to post
Share on other sites

99% visual but I do occasionally stick my DLSR in the back of a frac to take snaps of the Moon. I have no inclination to do AP seriously - the thought of sitting doing all that processing gives me a headache :bino2:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Visual only at the moment, but I want to start imaging (planetary, lunar solar only).  Planning to buy a  ZWO ASI120M-CS soon.

Don't think I will have the patience (or deep enough pockets) for deep sky imaging; maybe when I am retired in three year's time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.