SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Shed Ransu

Ransu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks lovely, but when I see the inside I keep thinking "sauna" ;)

LOL I was thinking the same. As much as I like astronomy I like saunas more. Just keep on using your scope on it's tripod and turn the obsy into a sauna :D

I think you have done a very professional job of this build Rauno and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

On another note do you see much of auroras over your way?

SPACEBOY

LOL I was thinking the same. As much as I like astronomy I like saunas more. Just keep on using your scope on it's tripod and turn the obsy into a sauna ;)

I think you have done a very professional job of this build Rauno and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

SPACEBOY

Don't joke about sauna's- my wife wants a hot tub & sauna IN my warmroom. I think think she may have got he wrong end of the stick when called it a 'warmroom'. Still- it's not a totally insane idea......stargazing from a hot tub.

SPACEBOY

Auroras have been rare last years, and i haven't seen good one at long time. Maybe raising solar activity will bring them back. I think ihave seen my best auroras at early -80:s when i was teenager and beginning this hobby.

Auroras have been rare last years, and i haven't seen good one at long time. Maybe raising solar activity will bring them back. I think ihave seen my best auroras at early -80:s when i was teenager and beginning this hobby.

Laser has a good idea. I think a Hot tub build is next on the to do list now Ransu. You can then sit back in the tub and look out for auroras and meteor showers ;)

Todays progress:

Outside white painting work done now. I have to say i dont like to do painting.

Inside floor done with Osmo color natural based wood wax. Colour is Cherry.

I think i will continue inside walls with Osmocolor too, but different colour.. maybe blue could be ok :hello2:

So.. bye bye Sauna look, sorry for that:D

Outside 25.6

IMG_8290.JPG

And inside floor:

IMG_8293.JPG

Thanks spaceboy, house has been build 1952 and window frames need repainting this summer. I think i will leave the walls as they are, not adding any boarding, just colour.

edit..thinking spaceboys question more, it would be better to add boarding, it is easier to hang something and looks better too.

have you considered insulating the walls with something like this

Jablite Classic Board | House Insulation | Jabite UK

and then covering with pine wood cladding.

I have used this for my shed and it really does insulate well. It can also be used to insulate the underside of the roof.

Excellent stuff... used it for the floor in my build

59945d1306957216t-observatory-build-underway-img_0185.jpg

What would the general consensus be on insulating walls causing the indoor temperature of the obsy after a day in the sun to be warmer than the outside temperature? I can understand imagers wanting a warm room and so creating a more comfortable and warm environment through insulation the extra expense could be justified but would it be worth it just for visual observing giving it may increase cool down times?

I think spaceboy is absolutely right: In my opinion insulation on the walls and/or roof would be wasted ressources and energy, and ultimately unproductive. The shed is made to be used with the roof off. Insulation would trap heat in the daytime and just necessitate a longer cooling off period before the telescope could be used.

Mr Ransu, your observatory is a thing of sweet beauty. Well tought-out, solid, and built with great care and dedication.

I think it's marvelous.

Congratulations.

I think spaceboy is absolutely right: In my opinion insulation on the walls and/or roof would be wasted ressources and energy, and ultimately unproductive. The shed is made to be used with the roof off. Insulation would trap heat in the daytime and just necessitate a longer cooling off period before the telescope could be used.

To a degree (pardon the punn) - it's the insulation in your house that keeps keep it cool in summer and warm in winter, so it could do the same in this situation, but given the thickness of the walls in a "shed" type building the insulation would not be thick enough to provide much advantage over not using any insulation at all.

I think i will not add any insulation, there is no reason for adding. Shed and equipment can follow better outside temperature. At summertime when we have warm days, we can't see stars because of nothern countries ligt summer nights.

What would the general consensus be on insulating walls causing the indoor temperature of the obsy after a day in the sun to be warmer than the outside temperature? I can understand imagers wanting a warm room and so creating a more comfortable and warm environment through insulation the extra expense could be justified but would it be worth it just for visual observing giving it may increase cool down times?

I was wondering also if my obsy needed any insulation- after all you want the telscope to be as close to ambeint temperature as quickly as possible?

IMO the observatory area does not want insulating. If you have a warm room, you may want to insulate that for the winter. If you do, don't forget the dividing wall.

To a degree (pardon the punn) - it's the insulation in your house that keeps keep it cool in summer and warm in winter, so it could do the same in this situation, but given the thickness of the walls in a "shed" type building the insulation would not be thick enough to provide much advantage over not using any insulation at all.

Please do not take this as a knock at you as your's is not the first build I've seen insulated, but this is why I asked the question. You wouldn't really want it cool in the summer and warm in the winter (unless it's a separate warm room away from the scope). In the ideal world you want an equilibrium between the indoor and out door temperatures to minimize down time and increase observation/imaging time. Going of what you are saying if the insulation isn't going to be thick enough to provide much advantage why run the costs up by adding any at all?? I would rather my money spent on good winter clothing that can be used at dark sites or star parties when not in my obsy. Dose that make any sense or am I just rambling :hello2:

Insulate the warm room by all means (and the more insulation the better).The only insulation used by Mr. Ransu was for the below-ground concrete base of his obsy because at 59 degrees North, the freeze-thaw cycles can heave up such structures.

As for the obsy itself, not only are professional observatories not insulated, the newer ones actually have a wide open concept (see photo of Gemini North at Hawaii) to minimize cool-down periods. They are also painted white or silver to reflect as much of the heating rays of the sun as possible. Mr. Ransu's obsy has a nice corrugated tin roof, and the exterior walls are of a light colour that not only match his house, but are perfect for reflecting sunlight.

All in all, a very nice project.

post-27113-133877623896_thumb.jpg

Archived