1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Light polution tip from springwatch !!!

Moon monkey

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this then ......... Chris Packham just gave the advise ... To attract moths keep your security light on all night ..... What great advice waste electric and ruin any chance of dark skyies all in one go !!! ;):mad::p

lol Moon Monkey! :) Stop making me laugh.!.I'm trying to listen to SLOOH comments and watch the eclipse! :)

Chris Packham ...:)

Edited by Telrad

What CP should have said is "only do it on cloudy nights" as (a fact) moths prefer cloudy warm nights, even rainy ones! The rain jams the bat radar and gives them a sporting chance to find Mrs Moth before they get eaten.

Chris

(a moth trap owner....)

Parus ... I still think telling people to leave a high power security light on all night is a bit irrisponsible in these times of saving energy (and the planet)

Perhaps but I've read posts on forums by amateur astronomers about taking down trees to increase their view.

I'm not defending it, just saying.

Thing is, it's not like everyone was told to have their lights on for no reason constantly, the tip was for you to have a look at the moths that cross over your garden at night by using the light as the basis for a moth trap. You won't be doing this every night and only a few hundred people in the whole country will be doing it at most in the whole country on any one night.

Not really the basis for a thread, is it?

I really enjoyed reading this thread yesterday - I was disappointed at not seeing the eclipse yesterday due to clouds and whilst watching the live coverage and reading SGL, I saw this post.!.along with the following replies. It cheered me up and is quite amusing! Thanks Moon Monkey :)!

Edited by Telrad

My husband is an expert at 'moth catching', as I have a phobia of moths..no joke! Furry, flappy, noisy little critters....eughhhh!!!

I have a sixth sense....know one's in the room, even if I can't see it!!

So....no lights on in our house! Great for the leccy bill....:)

My husband is an expert at 'moth catching', as I have a phobia of moths..no joke! Furry, flappy, noisy little critters....eughhhh!!!

I have a sixth sense....know one's in the room, even if I can't see it!!

So....no lights on in our house! Great for the leccy bill....:)

hehe. I'm not a big fan of them either, especially when they leave that trail of magically appearing dead moth debris ! :)

Edited by Telrad

LOL... My mother in law has a fobia of them too ... She sat on my sofa one night with a glass of wine and a moth flew in... a bit later she took a big swig from her glass and then spat red wine all over my living room FFS !!!! seems there was a bit of cork in the glass but in her mind it was a moth .......:)

LOL... My mother in law has a fobia of them too ... She sat on my sofa one night with a glass of wine and a moth flew in... a bit later she took a big swig from her glass and then spat red wine all over my living room FFS !!!! seems there was a bit of cork in the glass but in her mind it was a moth .......:)

Good one!!:mad:

My best??.......At work, night shift, hospital environment....was in a cubicle doing a 'procedure' on a patient when a big fat 'un flew in!! Couldn't leave...(in the middle of something..), thing flapping round my head.....me screaming.....collegues running in to help, thinking I'm being attacked by the patient!!!:):eek:B):eek:

Security caught it whilst I finished up......the patient was very understanding!!! (Had a phobia of spiders....thankfully!!) :eek: