740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

First light ED80 - Sun

smerral

I had a go at old Sol today. It was a bit cloudy. Here is a video taken with the ED80, Atik and 0.5 focal reducer:

Stacks of around 100 frames - the second using a 2x barlow, enlarged 50% in photoshop. The surface detail is clearly visible. I must say the crayford focuser is a dream! :) The sunspot group is AR1236:

sun-ed80.png

sun-ed80-barlow.png

Edited by smerral

Those images from an ED80 I think prove the point very well....a small refractor (ie ED80) fitted with a Baader Solar filter and a good choice of camera will give exciting views and show excellent surface detail.

Very well done!!

Thanks for posting these smerral! :) Wonderful sunspot images, and to think these are caused by intense magnetic activity that disrupt the normal circulation of heated gases on the sun's surface is fascinating, and lead to areas of cooling and reduced brightness! I like the video you posted on YouTube also. Fantastic! :)

Thanks for the comments! The ED80 is a great little scope and I can't wait to try it on the deep sky stuff. As far the sun goes I think it is even a touch better than the Mak 127. However, this could be because the latter is so difficult to fine focus - the crayford focuser on the ED80 makes things so much easier....

Without a Baader Solar filter your telescope is only working at 50% of its possible capacity.

You can almost double the utilisation by doing Solar observing during the day and "star stuff" at night. It's a definate win win.

Without a Baader Solar filter your telescope is only working at 50% of its possible capacity.

You can almost double the utilisation by doing Solar observing during the day and "star stuff" at night. It's a definate win win.

Definitely. I think I'll only get it for my ED80, though. Using solar film on my MN190 makes me really nervous, for some reason.

Seriously, You should not be nervous about observing the Sun with any telescope...PROVIDING you take the basic safety precautions. A securely fitted Baader Solar filter is 100% safe on any sized scope.