SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik EFW2 USB Filter Wheel

steppenwolf

Steve, I have one and so far it works extremely well except a couple of times I have had mis-communications with the computer at start up, maybe my fault but simply unplugging the wheel and restarting fixes it, I do have a long USB run to it which maybe the cause.

Once running and using the Artemis software it is a dream to use.

Pete

I only have the earlier one. I sometimes had bothers with device not being recognized and this was annoying and embarrassing since I don't like wasting peoples' time. Once recognized it worked a treat. I'd use it more if I didn't have so much swapping around of bits to do as it is.

Olly

I have used it a number of times and it has worked as expected, the wheel turns and stops at the correct position, I normally set it to take a LRGB in sequence ie one after the other, so the wheel has been well used for the amount of time I have had it, oh it is a 5x2" wheel.

No noticable light leakage either.

I have struggled releasing the locking ring and unthreading the camera, camera adaptor and locking ring came off with camera, until I lightly oiled the threads, as the are Aluminium they do tend to bind.

Pete

Thanks again, Pete for the additional information - it is my intention to use the 9 X 1.25" wheel as I have 4 x narrowband filters and an LRGB set.

Olly, I know you prefer manual wheels (and I understand why!). I too have the original Atik EFW 1 and it always works just fine although I am hoping that the version 2 will be better mechanically.

Thanks both of you for your input, much appreciated.

Steve - you mention "better mechanically" - what did you mean??

The case was fine and the filter threads were fine but I noted that the carousel started to dip to one side so that the filters were slightly tilted in the light path. A second unit didn't appear to display this 'characteristic'. That said, it works fine and I have been satisfied with the few NB images that I have taken using it and it has never failed to initialise or select the correct filter from the 5 in place.

I got one running from Maxim; only had it a month or so but happily it has never missed a beat. (Standard length USB). No light leakage that I can see. The only comment I would have is that it seems quite easy to misalign the central spring when putting it back together after fitting the filters. Otherwise I am pleased.

Archived